More opinions please - this time on mains power

It absolutely will. Several people including myself have this going straight into a MK socket. What you cant to is to then daisy chain to a second socket. That was one of the reasons I suggested a deeper socket box to help here.

The electrician may opt for an IP rated fusebox outside, but they would determine that when they come around to inspect and price the job in detail. It shouldn’t really make much difference to you or the HiFi, but depends on several factors, space being one.

The MK data sheet for their logic range of sockets states:
MK

I have heard of people here getting 10mm2 CSA cables in, it just isn’t an option listed by the manufacturer

1 Like

I suspect none of them are HiFi nuts like many of us. I would say that 2x6mm =12mm cross sectional area, so less than the 1x 10mm that we are using. But interesting to see it in writing. I would suggest that those are guidelines possibly, rather that strict rules

This is all about options & the compromises of each.

10mm should go in to the terminals of a twin unswitched socket with a deep pattress box, especially when it’s entering via a wall – but daisy-chaining out, no (as above). Obviously 6mm would make life easier per @Roog 's post i.e. you could daisy-chain (extent TBC).

Check out @james_n 's words above - he has dropped 10mm in to the back of a twin socket.

Within the options, you need to work out which kit would benefit from the dedicated feed (via 'block - 6-way?) and what could stay on the existing (assumed) house-ring feed?

If all the Naim gear is fed from the new spur, I imagine that Lingo 4 and tape player should stay on the existing mains circuit.

Does that right? And should I expect 10mm and 6mm to actually sound different at all?

3 Likes

Sounds sensible as a starting point.

A quick check of Screwfix suggests 6mm SWA is about ~55% of the cost of 10mm (the former can be had in a 50M reel), the 10mm comes in a 25M reel.

I cannot say if 10mm is better but that’s what I would use – go big or go home!

1 Like

Naim advised me many years ago to use 10mm. Most on here advise 10mm. Don’t overthink things. It’s really very simple. Just get a good electrician.

2 Likes

I’ll try saying again that I really want 10mm, even if that means 2 sockets and a power block, and see where that gets me.

I assume that the daisy-chain issue means that most here are recommending 10mm cable and the use of a power block over a thinner cable and 8 sockets from it. Is that right?

2 Likes

Has the sparks agreed that daisy-chaining another 6 sockets is OK?

Intuitively, 10mm in to double socket + a quality 'block is better option IMHO.

i.e. aligned to Naim’s house view per HH’s comments.

10mm cable into an unswitchable double socket, then a power bar from the socket to plug all your boxes (mine is 8 socket furutech Puritan for all the gear except the pre amp which should be plugged directly into the wall socket) Yourtape player and LP12 then plugged in the mains ring that powers the rest of your room

Not sure if the 8 plugs you referred to was from a reply I made earlier HL. I meant use an 8 plug power bar or however many sockets Nick needs for his Naim boxes from the wall socket. The power bar should be star wired so there is even delivery to all components. If he has a double socket fitted I‘d recommend using the other just for the pre amp.

@james_n - really neat looking job.

My ref to 8 was in respect of the suggested overall 8 sockets are/were identified as being needed, of which 6 (3 x twins) would be daisy-chained.

I concur with your thoughts – although, it seems, many of the distribution blocks you can get aren’t star-wired e.g. the Chord ones.

So which socket to take the 10mm and which power block (if not the existing Grahams item) are the only questions for now?

2 Likes

PS 108-PURIST – 8 output sockets non-filtered strip

Supplied with no supply filtration and no spike protection. 8 outlets directly star connected. Star earthing plan with cleansed earth

Puritan Audio Labs

1 Like

See my reply to HL - Stephen at Audio Consultants can advise - Puritan do a special edition for them with Furutech sockets which are a big improvement. You’ll need a decent power IEC plug to drive it … Puritan make some good ones … mine is a Gutwire Pure Cube

:+1:

Another thumbs up for the Puritan PS108 Purist. A very good power block. :ok_hand:t2:

Thanks. I found a very good electrician who not only was able to sort out what I wanted (and understood why) but also did a very neat job too. He’s done several jobs for our near family since, so it all worked out well.

1 Like

Well finally got my electrician round last night, i had bought some 6mm cable thinking it was a good compromise, but mentioned 10mm would be preferable. No sucking of teeth, showed the @Mike-B diagram…….no problems, will fit the CU and Henley block and wire the unswitched socket with his 10mm T&E. I am supplying the socket from mcru, the 6mm cable from them will now make a couple of power leads.
Just need to get the plumber to move a couple of radiators when servicing the boiler.

1 Like

Nick - I drew up a schematic to show electricians what I was looking for when I went to get my radial installed. Sometimes it’s easier to explain with a picture and then let the electrician advise the approach based on your requirements and the latest regs.

4 Likes