More sad news - John Prine RIP

Sad news indeed. Very sad.

First Bill Withers and now John. Sad week

Very sad. RIP Mr Prine and thank you for the music.

One of my all time favourites!

Very sad indeed.

Sad news, great musician.

His songs have been covered by many, from Johnny Cash(‘Sam Stone’) to Alabama 3 (‘Speed of the Sound of Loneliness’). But one of my favourites is ‘Killing the Blues’, written by Rowland Sally, who was I think in John’s band and then covered by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss. A great artist.

1 Like

Very sad, great talent, saw him in 92 at the Cambridge Folk Festival and sat outside his Regents Park gig in the early seventies and listened because we couldn’t get tickets. My favourite song is “The Great Compromise” perhaps not everybody’s immediate choice, there are so many. Remember rushing home from the pub to catch him on Whistle Test again early seventies and switching on my reel to reel and placing a microphone against the TV speaker.

RIP John, you’ll be greatly missed.

Chris

1 Like

Same here!

Last saw him perform in Glasgow a couple of years back, and despite his ill health he and his band gave an amazing performance. Was due to see him again in Edinburgh this February, but unfortunately his tour was cancelled for health reasons, and re-arranged for February next year.

So sad that I won’t get to see him perform again. My very best wishes go out to his family.

I love the duets with Iris deMent. Finishing tonight’s session with 2 of my favourites: We’re not the Jet Set & In Spite of Ourselves. Delicious, very special poetry. Sublime.

2 Likes

Don’t forget Bonnie Raitt - Angel from Montgomery.

Worth searching out the episode of Elvis Costello’s Spectacle with John as a guest. It is on YouTube.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.