Motorbikes

This is my book at bedtime at the moment - what a legend.

Wonderfully read by Rupert Degas

10 Likes

My mate used to own a Ural. It was a total ratbike (not necessarily a pejorative term) and was affectionately known as “the urinal”.

I thought they all were.

A couple of friends had them, one spent ages trying to get it to tick over on both cylinders before discovering only one carb had a pilot “jet” with a hole in it.

2 Likes

This is a superb read, I bought it when it was first published. There is a section in it referring to the British bike industry, and it’s attitude to most things at the time as demonstrated by their attitude to Ted when he spoke to them about support for the journey, and we of course know the outcome of having that attitude, the story is definitely that of a real ‘doer’ and I think something of a hero.

Nick - Yamaha Xj900.

3 Likes

Yes and the reputation British bikes had (in favour of Japanese) in the USA or West Coast in the mid-70’s. Ted’s view was it was a mindset not borne out by his experience.

If you feel like revisiting the book then Rupert Degas adds a whole new dimension to the journey through his outstanding narration. Almost finished and then on to the sequel Dreaming of Jupiter where Ted does the journey again 30 years later.

1 Like

OK, thanks Andy.

1 Like

Nice ! Triumph have some lovely bikes at the moment . I’ve been checking out the new Tiger 900 GT Pro for a friend in Oz , its amazing and has me thinking too .

image image

My “toys”. First Gen pikes peak multistrada that I have owned from new that I love. I have had various sports bikes but now too old for that and once the multi ecu and suspension cranked up around the lanes I can keep up with sports bikes. Also a monster S4RS tricolore which I think is one of 36 uk spec bikes. I have had many monsters and got this as for me it was the ultimate version of it. I don’t ride it a lot but when I do it always puts a huge grin on my face

3 Likes

In the meantime here’s my beloved KTM on the way to Vezelay in 2019 .

1 Like

This is the model I have on order

3 Likes

7 Likes

Brilliant photo.
Must have been some ride!!

Yep,spent a year in the Andes,this is the western Lagunas route in south bolivia

1 Like

And how many times did you drop it in that slippy sand?

3,blamed looking at flamingos for this one

4 Likes

On the plus side, no gravel rash

I’ve still got the Bonneville T120. Looking forward to using it a bit more this year if/when things start getting back to normal.

In the mean time, I’ve been catching up on this guy. Some of you may know about the genius that is Allen Millyard. His creations are jaw dropping, some of them feature in the Barber Museum, USA. Here’s his take on the lovely Kawasaki Z1

5 Likes

Allen Millyard is usually on Henry Cole’s The Motorcyle Show and in the last series that Z1 was featured. Allen fired up that beast of an engine with no exhausts fitted and the poor sound man was deafened and blasted with flames…

Miss my old 900ss

1 Like

What an adventure!