Mouse in the house eek!

Peanut butter, Nutella & (this was a surprise to me) sausage. One I caught using the latter turned out to be a juvenile rat, not a mouse. I’ve had best result with Little Nipper mousetraps, I guess not what you’re after asking for humane ones.

2 Likes

Thats good for rats, then you just bash them with a post or let your dog have them.

It works well with peanut butter on the spindle as rats love that.

1 Like

Riiijk on Amazon. It doesn’t kill the animal.

A poison bait is effective but mices will go out to drink water and be eaten by birds and other predators so that poison them also…

I recommended one of these diy traps to a colleague with bate of peanut butter.
Worked a treat. If I recall it was even more basic than this one

2 Likes

Here’s a very basic but effective design :relaxed:
bucket-mouse-trap-with-dowel-peanut-butterr

6 Likes

Are they supposed to jump the 3 inch gap?

They stretch over to reach the peanut butter and as they try to eat it the can rotates and they fall in :relaxed:

3 Likes

Despite the commonly accepted bait of peanut butter, I had a whole 13 member team of mice a couple of years ago that didn’t care. They only seemed to be using our living room and kitchen for physical workout, running around like crazy. In the end I had to use very mouse unfriendly means to get rid of them. I love Satori’s trap though - is that bucket filled with water? My troop of fit mice would otherwise jump out in no time…

1 Like

Filled with water should the intended purpose be that they meet a watery end by drowning :relaxed:

Alas very true, in the last couple of weeks we’ve caught about 10 of the wee blighters. No humane traps here, the traps dispatch them quickly and we just toss them in to the garden where the magpies clean up in no time. We do live on a farm estate so it is no great surprise that come this time of year they start coming in.

1 Like

Fair point, that wouldn’t be mouse friendly. I fear my hunt for the 13 furry fitness freaks has made me unconsciously cruel in my thoughts about mice.

If the bucket is deep enough they won’t be able to climb out so you can dispose of them as you see fit.

1 Like

True. But I actually witnessed one -nicknamed Tarzan- jump 40 cm to a towel rack, and I could have sworn it was using the swing motion to jump from towel to towel. I kid you not.

This is turning into a murine version of Squid Game. Mouse Game

1 Like

I’ve managed to corner a few in the past and sucked them up with the hoover nozzle - they survived and apart from being dusty were released but probably not far enough away.

Not had any success with humane traps apart from one I forgot about in the garage over a weekend and poor mouse just expired in the trap.

The traditional traps seem to work best and are swift.

Bought a few electric ones to zap the mouse as it crosses metal plates, but they never caught a thing.

1 Like

Oddly this summer saw mice jumping around in the borders of the garden. Later noticed that mice were congregating under the bird feeders to eat dropped seeds etc.

We also now know why cats from a few houses away were ‘staking out’ the bird feeding station.

1 Like

Yes, bird feeders near your house will almost certainly increase the rodent population, which of course will then seek shelter indoors when the weather turns. I once found a mouse inside the tube of one of our seed feeders. modifications were required!

Undoubtedly - this is the first year I’ve had a bird feeder ‘feeding station’ - a pole with arms to hang multiple feeders. There have always been mice around here - many years ago I’d probably had a few glasses and nodded off on the sofa, woke up in semi-darkness and was convinced I saw one dancing on the LP12 platter at the other side of the room!

Don’t confuse mice in the garden with those in the house/buildings, they are different species & rarely cross into the others domain. So don’t expect your garden mice to come into the house.
House mouse (Mus musculus) this is the only mouse that lives in buildings
Field or wood mouse (Apodemus sylvaticus)
Yellow-necked mouse (Apodemus flavicollis) same habitat as field/wood mouse
Then there are the various voles & shrews, also in the same field/wood habitats

3 Likes