Movie Review

Bohemian Rhapsody

This is a good film which builds on large part on the fantastic Queen catalogue. The film centers on Freddie’s life story and builds to the Live Aid concert. I found his life as written to me in part moving and engaging. The aspect of rampant gay sex is dealt with well, and the contraction of aids. I didn’t feel there were and cardboard cutouts or tropes and I was swept along by the music, the emotion and the tragedy.

Recommended

The reality of his life was majorly edited by Brian May and John Deacon who didn’t want the full description of Freddie’s escapades to be released. Freddie was a genius but he was also seriously depraved most of which was kept out of the limelight.

Yes.

One aspect I liked about the film was the counterpoint between family, in the widest sense, and hedonism. I think there is a narrative truth in this that resonated with me, was it the actual truth - I hope so.

I was lucky enough to be back stage just before Queen went on at the Live Aid concert and saw their whole set, they really did light the place up, it was electric.

Queen are one band I truly regret never having seen live. Unfortunately, in my youth, I was extremely susceptible to “having to be cool” whatever that actually means. I thought liking Queen would be perceived as homosexual or something and so never gave them any time.

It’s only in the last 15 years or so I’ve truly discovered and loved them. Now I have all their albums on vinyl, some of which are very rare, including a black vinyl pressing of the Highlander soundtrack of which Queen produced themselves and only released a few (although I don’t know exactly how many).

Freddie truly was Queen. The face and the brains behind their whole image and sound. His compositions were so all encompassing of so many genres (even opera with Bohemian Rhapsody), the mind boggles how someone can be so accomplished in so many different styles.

I have no qualms with his hedonistic view of life either, he had a lot of fun and people loved him for it. A true tragedy that he contracted aids at that time, had it been 10 years later it’s quite likely he’d still be alive.

Alita: Battle Angel

Assuming you have read the Manga, or watched the Anime, then you ill know what you are getting with this film as it follows it pretty closely.

This is a film that is definitely FANTASY, there is little in the way of science here. Parking your logic and knowledge of the physical world are you left with a narrative with engaging emotional beats? For me the answer was yes. I have seen criticisms of the film’s central love story and its timing, but I sat through the two and half hours and was engaged throughout.

The films production values and effects are excellent. Alita is obviously not a human whilst facially looking almost human, and fits seamlessly into the world that has been built by the film makers; an impressive feat.

As long as you are prepared to accept the films lack of scientific believability and go with the flow I think there is a good time to be had here, and one which I will be adding to my collection in due course. It is a definite part 1, I hope it does well enough to justify a part 2.

M