Moving on from SN2 + HiCap

The key is achieving the right balance…

Currently my SN2 + HiCapDR drives my RP10, HugoTT & Wadia cd into Dynaudio S40s. It’s a very small study but where i spend my life these days…
Where to next?
Reading here the consensus appears to be NAC282/NAP250 - and I can keep the HiCapDR to power the 282?
But is that all too much for the speakers etc?
Where next oh wise ones?

2 Likes

Not for me to criticise your upgrade ambitions, but it seems to be a pretty fine system you have there.

3 Likes

I would not move into the separates if I were you today. If you still want, do look for preloved.

1 Like

yes, you can!

1 Like

I agree with this, @timtunes. I have a SN2+HCDR and think the combo is as good as it gets for Integrateds on the market without spending separates kind of money; and this is in what might be considered a largish dedicated room with dedicated 20a lines.
Why do you wish to change, other than, maybe, to change? Your system looks outstanding.
I doubt that would be too much for those speakers if you chose to move forward with the upgrade, but I don’t think the speakers would be your limiting factor. You mention it’s a small study where you listen. This, to me, is the often overlooked part of the equation. Are you certain you’d even be able to take advantage of the sonic upgrade with this in mind? I, personally, don’t know, as how small it is isn’t specified…just food for thought more than anything.

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies above…does no-one else just think ‘time for a change’? However there is good sense written - the last thing I want to do is end up with somthing that isn’t matched and fit to the purpose.
The room is very small - it has been a lockdown project to decorate, tweak & develop - the thing is …could it sound better in admittedly quite constrained conditions

3 Likes

That’s a very small room with a lot of hard surfaces and a desk between you and the speakers. Personally, I would not go any higher than where you already are (you have an excellent system as it is) unless plans for the relatively near future would involve moving the system to a larger room. A 250+282 is obviously a better amp, but not necessarily in that room - and might even be worse with bass perhaps becoming overpowering? If it were me I’d stay put and enjoy what I have.

5 Likes

and that picture doesn’t show I have a Dali sub under the desk too!

The sitting room has a more family friendly Nova…

Ooo…how about phono stage? I havea Rega Aria and was thinking that might be something to tweak upwards??

How about a Rega IOS?

Edit: I’ve just looked it up and the latest iteration is called ‘Aura’.

1 Like

I have a similar system and I really think you need a larger and more suitable room to improve things given the very good level you are already at with the electronics.

1 Like

Yes…eyeing that up…put where do i fit it in - I’d need to re-locate the Hicap & the RP10 power supply…

1 Like

stop upgrading.
Just buy or enjoy more music.

1 Like

Or there is a Naim Superline which you could power from Aux2 on the SN2.

1 Like

Don’t tend to see so much about that…is thre any positive experience with it?

1 Like

really Antonio? I upgrade to stop me buying too much new music…

1 Like

Loads of positive experience here on the forum of Naim’s top stage. Please just use the search.

1 Like

You don’t exactly seem to have a lot of space. It looks as though your Rega phono stage is already stacked on its power supply, which should be avoided. The phono stage is very sensitive and should be away from powered items. Could you actually fit in a pre-power? If there is nothing missing in your sound then perhaps you should do nothing. 0ther than separate the two Rega boxes of course. Presumably the study is largely for working, so how important is the system’s absolute quality anyway. Maybe the answer is to pump money into your retirement pot so you can retire sooner.

2 Likes

Sorry, what would that be?

Thinking i could squeeze in a two shelf half-size rack under the desk to take the Power supply or allow a change to a full size Phono (warming to the theme of boosting the phono side…)