Mu-So 2 and IPv6 support

Hi,

Anyone knows (or tested) about Mu-So 2 IPv6 support? I’m aiming at getting a Mu-So 2 for my home, but at the same time I’m getting rid of IPv4 in my home network, so I’m wondering if this device would work in IPv6-only environment.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

Cheers, Jan Zorz

There’s generally no benefit to getting rid of IPv4 in a home network. I mean you can do it if you want but many devices won’t support IPv6 (certainly the old streamers don’t).

I run both v4 and v6 at home but only because I work with and test v6 applications. If I wasn’t doing that for work, switching to v6 would be a purely academic and meritless exercise.

All Naim devices are IPv4 only.

Any plan to support at least dual stack? World is moving on and so do network architectures…

Cheers and thnx, Jan

1 Like

I’m getting rid of IPv4 purely to see which devices supports a modern network architecture and which one doesn’t. Many of them do and works quite well in dns64/nat64 IPv6-only environments.

At the end of a day - all devices that connects to a network will have to support IPv6 at one point in time, it just depends when :wink:

Cheers and thnx, Jan

Given the address space supported by IPv4, it’s unlikely to go anywhere for LAN networks anytime soon. The reason it was slated for retirement and replacement by IPv6 was largely mitigated by easy NATting in home and large corporate networks.

Honestly, don’t hold your breath on IPv4 going anywhere soon.

True, but that doesn’t mean that devices should not support dual-stack :wink:

Cheers, Jan

1 Like

I asked Naim a little while back, and they had no plans for IPv6… they said they saw no real need on home networks. I didn’t agree, and felt short sighted… there is far more benefit to IPv6 than the just the increased address space, and makes configuration often a lot easier and more reliable when things change in your network, for example NDP is often more effective than ARP, and you can move away from relying on DHCP. So right now, my Naim streamer is one of my only IPv4 only hosts on my home network… correction, it is my only IPv4 only host on my network…
You typically find streaming services can work better on IPv6 compared to IPv4 with reduced end to end delay.
One we have universal IPv6 at least as an option we can be rid of those horrible mechanisms such as RFC1918 NATing, which can cause all sorts of issues with higher protocol applications if you are not careful with port forwarding.

Mind you if IPv6 was supported I suspect the amount of home network help posts on static address this, or dhcp that, would significantly reduce. IPv6 tends to be more plug and play…

200% agreed. IPv6 Is not fixing just address space shortage, but brings many other improvements to the protocol that increases reliability and reduces complexity of networks. Can’t imagine any reason why device manufactures would not support it…

Indeed and most do now… I hope it’s only a question of a short amount of time before Naim do. In 2019 it does feel strange producing a premium product that relies on network connectivity that can only support legacy network mechanisms.

1 Like

Historically - nobody wanted top-down pressure on ISPs to deploy IPv6 - but bottom-up market driven push - and current statistic shows that approx 25% of all traffic to Google services globally is over IPv6. Some countries feels now that also additional top-down pressure is needed - they have the souvereignity to do it…

IPv6 is here, many eyeballs at homes using it and the % is growing. In 2019 - building network devices without supporting both protocols is not fashionable anymore :wink:

And I suspect that many might be using it without realising (which it how it should be) Most of the main U.K. ISPs offer IPv6 as well as Ipv4 … and you might well find your smart TV behind the scenes is using IPv6 when using Netflix and similar. My smart TV (LG) has no setup for IPv6… it just automatically activates it silently
The beauty of IPv6 it usually just works with you needing to do nothing apart connect up and turn on… and if it can’t for whatever reason such as using a legacy router or ISP most consumer apps will try and fall back to IPv4.

As far as pressure… it will be market forces that push… I think with 5G and growing IoT one will start to see ubiquity of IPv6… IPv4 will increasingly be seen as a slower less secure, less versatile, subset of the global public internet. In many parts of the world if you want to use new public provider independent internet addresses they now need to be IPv6.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.