Mu-So 2 Sound Quality

I have 3 Mu-so Qb 2nd generation. I’m very satisfied with them. Excellent sound. I’ve also have a complete Linn system. But I almost listening to the Mu-so:s because I love the sound.

1 Like

Some seriously helpful comments here. But those effectively saying that I am expecting too much or should have gone for separates are missing the point. I am familiar with what you can reasonably expect from a one box solution. All I am saying is that I expected an upgrade compared to Zeppelin, Bose and Sonos units. It’s like saying to someone who bought an A class but feels it compares badly with a Focus that he should have got an S class instead! But to those with constructive advice re positioning and isolation etc, thank you!

Must admit to being a bit perplexed about the comment that the sound coming from the Muso is somehow inferior to that of Bose, Sonos, etc! Owner of both Muso2 and QB2 as well as the others on your list. Perhaps it’s a type of sound you prefer, or you have a faulty unit. Bose sound in particular rarely raved about.

as others have said it needs to be at ear level, just as the tweeters on any speaker should be. I have mine on a hefty solid mahogany side table positioned very close to front edge to minimise reflections. It is in the archway between two rooms so effectively in free space and my listening chair is well away from the back wall (1.2m). room compensation and loudness off. i think there is a lot to be said for room treatment, but if you can’t go there careful positioning to avoid room modes is the next best thing. lots of youtube videos cover this. The result of this is that my muso2 sounds great -couldn’t ask for better. good luck with solving the problem.

I agree. I have the Muso 1…And just got a Sonos move for my…wait for it…move. The Muso 1, while not to the regular quality of a separates hifi is miles and miles beyond the Sonos. And that was my muso 1

I have a Muso1 and Qb1, used to have a Zeppelin, and still have a Bose (great whilst working in the garage, but that’s about it) If your Muso2 doesn’t sound better than a Zeppelin or Bose then you must have a duff.

3 Likes

Naim cups and balls x3 under the muso 1 was revolutionary.

I am on my second Mu-So 1 used primarily as a TV soundbar for Netflix and YouTube via Apple TV. We also use it with our UPnP-NAS. We use Wireworld Supernova 7 Toslink Cable and Loudness on and “>25cm from the rear wall” engaged. We also set the unit on 4 Vibrapods on a Metro-wire style steel-grid shelf. The unit is under a TV set in the corner. This setting works well for us. The Wireworld Supernova 7 and Vibrapods sound great to improve the sound.

Tried Zeppelin, twice, in different houses, as I loved the looks and design. It always sounded too bass-heavy and boomy to me and both went back.

Mu-so (gen 1) much better - much better apparent stereo, more balanced sound. Good positioning helps - and simplest just to move it around. Not at knee (coffee table) height is better, not too enclosed is better, but it is lifestyle so make sure it fits the room, not vice versa!

If working properly, an effective unit for the price, and certainly better than the Zeppelin. And a Sonos Play:3, but I didn’t think you’d even want to compare it to that. Will never beat separates, but much neater solution than even an Atom with 2 speakers.

I have Muso-2 and full Naim system that I love. Muso’s real strength is as great radio bringing in classical terrestrial stations. My only regret is having not gotten a second one for my kitchen.

you still can… (and Amazon Prime day coming soon…)

I’d agree. I have a Bose soundbar with wireless sub and while it is superb for movies, the Qb Mk-2 - which costs just a quarter of the Bose - is miles better in terms of sound quality. It absolutely leaves the much more expensive Bose in the dust. And I think the Bose is very capable at what it does.

But I do stand by my comment about expectation. I don’t expect the Bose to outperform a Naim Muso product on sound quality (and it doesn’t come close) and I don’t expect my Muso product to outperform the Bose as a 2.1 semi-surround soundbar (and it doesn’t come close). Similarly, I don’t expect the Qb 2 to outperform my ancient Onkyo separates and dirt cheap Mission 73s which cost the same… and gues what? It doesn’t come close.

All these things work brilliantly at what they were designed for. I can imagine if someone is used to a certain presentation, the Naim might feel lean in the bass department.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.