Mu.So as Central Channel

Hi to all

I would like to know if I could implement the following configuration.

I already have an AV2 and would like to use a MUSO as a central channel. I would also like to use the MUSO as a simple soundbar for TV.

So my idea is this:

• if I start the HT system, the AV2 will pilot the MUSO through the DIN / JACK connection connected to the “central” AV2 output to the MUSO’s Jack Imput
  • if I simply watch TV, I use the MUSO as a soundbar connected via BT (or SPDIF) to the TV

It might work?

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thank you all
Angel

Angel, I guess what you propose is possible. The main issue will be in getting the volume level right for the Mu-So when in “centre channel” use. There will always be a bit of juggling there and it will never be exactly the same each time.

Also, forget using Bluetooth as a permanent solution. BT is there for convenience only, it’s not a patch on s/pdif or even the analogue AUX in performance-wise, and BT is notoriously flaky at times if not in perfect line of sight.

p.s. I’ve moved this thread to the Home Theatre room, as is appropriate.

Thx Richard… precious as always👍

Do you mean the original Muso, or the recently released Muso 2? The latter has an HDMI ARC input, which would be your best bet for connecting to a TV. (Assuming your TV has an HDMI ARC output.) Otherwise, just use optical.

Unfortunately is the mk1… so i can use only the spdif…

I run my Nova with stereo in my media room. I’ve wondered whether using a Muso as a pseudo centre speaker using mulitroom would be viable?

I wonder whether there may be a sound sync issue with these proposals, as well as a volume balance issue.

Best

David

Yes, David that’s quite possible where any A to D and D to A conversion as well as DSP is taking place.

Well, this would be a poor pseudo-center:

• It’s still playing stereo, i.e. you get the stereo once with “limited width” in the center and “full width” from your normal speakers. Unless you could tell the Muso to run a mono-mode (from the stereo input)?
  • You won’t get the benefit of the “central channel”, like voice mixed there for better “clarity”. Just more of the same stereo signal. (And if you have a Nova, I doubt the Muso will either add quality, clarity or “oomph” to the mix?)
  • Would be a good test, how “latency free” the multi-room setup is.

It’s a nice experiment though - but I would only do it, if the comports are readily available without any investment and hassle.

1 Like

Thinking of this:
Maybe Naim can build a streaming-source, which takes in 5.1 sound (none of the new streaming platform can do it) and send it via “multi-room” to different Naim comports for a 5.1 setup? :wink:
(Would be a chance to sell many of the boxes… Nova for main channel, Muso for center, 2 Qb or 1 Atom for rear… and where to connect the Sub? :joy:)

I mean. that’s what others (Sonos, Yamaha, …) do with their components (at least selected ones).
But likely it’s easier to get a real A/V-Receiver…

1 Like

Yes, this was more what I was thinking.

Yes, I had had the similar thought earlier, if Apple could do that via Airplay (2) from an Apple TV and using different target systems for the different channels from 5.1/7.1/whatnot input.
But I guess it would be very hard to get a “rounded and precise” system in this way, like getting a proper A/V Receiver and a matching set of boxes.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.