Mu-So, happy new owner, frustrated with GUI Options

I love my new mu-so … but the software side seems lacking … app and web interface when logged into the device direct via IP on browser.

Question …

Anyway to assign the inputs on the physical dial to X source … no offense to the audiophiles out there - but i would like to pick the 3x input options on the dial instead of being told which three i have to rely on (yes, i know other inputs become active upon receiving a signal) …

Anyway to removed the “clutter” … i use my naim mu-so right now largely as a sound bar for my TV … i know … i’m Likely wasting it’s capability … but this digital optical input is the LAST icon on TWO pages … which constantly resets and i have to scroll right, tap again, etc. and bypass everything i’m not using … i wish i could “clean up” ( or hide, de-select when I’m not using) - various inputs from the NAIM app … so when i log into my app - I literally choose on ONE screen between TIDAL, Bluetooth, and (digital optical audio) … aka… my TV. Simple example - how to hide Spotify as an input icon … don’t need it … happy with TIDAL … let’s give users the option to minimize what they see based upon what they actually use.

Direct IP interface … ok …i get it … naim doesn’t want us logging into the device and screwing things up … but seriously … it’s so much from the year 2005 that it’s silly … doesn’t scale on mobile (tablet / phone) … doesn’t offer any really meaniful “advanced” settings … i expect more when i paid this premium for a speaker.

Question … am i just dumb … or is there no way to change the equalizer for bass / treble etc… seriously … i can choose “more than 25cm away from the wall” … or not … but i can’t do anything else? Again, the people spending this type of money on a premium device are the same types of peeps that want to be able to customize very granular settings …

Soap box, stepping down now … welcome anyone’s feedback if i’m just missing something obvious / stupid because i’m new to the NAIM ecosystem …

I’m afraid that it is like you say it is. Naim probably won’t read your post so you should use the comment feature in the app. I doubt they will do much with developing the muso as its superseded now but they could take it into account in further development of muso 2.

The only frequency response feature you didn’t mention is Loudness, which personally I would leave at off.

Best

David

Hello and welcome,
I’m afraid I can’t answer most of your questions but cannot find a way to hide those inputs (I just tried).
Naim and most true, top quality hifi manufactures do not include any tone controls as they believe that they interfere with the signal and therefore ultimately, sound quality.
To say premium brands do isn’t actually the case.
Simply put, if a brand has tone controls, it not a seriously premium brand IMHO.
I’ve been listening to Naim and Linn systems for over 30 years and never missed tone controls.
The sound is superb and not distorted by their inclusion.

1 Like

@RLTW I fully agree, but it’s the device itself. The same Naim app allows me to toggle Enabled on all of the inputs on the 272, but that behaviour isn’t present on the Muso > Input Settings. For some reason the two devices interact differently with the s/w.

Yes it’s a design choice by Naim that you can’t hide unused inputs in the muso and Qb, for whatever reason. I suspect it’s to cut down the support load of customers losing an input and not knowing how to get it back, but I don’t know that…

@RLTW Welcome to the community. I purchased a MuSo 2 about 6 weeks ago. It was my first purchase of a Naim product but I was familiar with the brand and reputation being a hi-fi hobbyist for 40+ years. Right from the start I realized that software user interface design is not Naim’s forte. Like you I was disappointed in several aspects of the Naim Android app. When I got on my soap box and expressed my opinions to my dealer; I never heard back - disappointing. I find the interface of the app clunky and unintuitive. The design of the MuSo is beautiful, sound quality is excellent for such a small unit. I have not gotten the HDMI connection to my Samsung TV working yet. For me that’s not as important as its function as a music streamer.

I use the Naim app only on rare occasions now to control the hardware via the settings menu. For music streaming I have a small headless mini computer running Daphile OS which allows me to stream music to my MuSo.

Even thought I don’t use the app, being part to the Naim community here has helped me to understand some of the quirks and idiosyncrasies of the Naim app and I have found most the participants more than willing to help and answer questions.

Hopefully Niam will continue to provide both app software and firmware upgrades. They do have an excellent reputation of supporting their products.

@Blythe Agree with you 100% here about the tone controls.

1 Like

The Naim app is not littered with features and is simple in it’s approach, this is intentional I suspect as most users just wish to play music.

It isn’t perfect but it works well and is stable. I certainly don’t want a graphic equalizer on it !

2 Likes

I’ve recently purchased the Muso 2 (after owning the 1st generation for a while) and my first impressions of their support is that was that it was pretty poor. Response to e-mails only come after a very long delay (and some chasing) if at all and last I checked, they didn’t even have a user manual for 2nd generation.

I would have agreed with this 20 or 30 years ago but now? Not really. There are plenty of truly high end devices with tone controls which work exceptionally well. The lack tends to reflect a set of ideological beliefs and specific market needs rather than empirical measurement. I personally don’t desire tone controls but have heard multiple devices costing far more than my humble system which do it really well.

A bit like turntable inputs on new amps for example. One moment there’s no need. Then the regrowth of vinyl suggests there is. You can guarantee that if British consumers started demanding tone control on the Muso range en masses then it would appear as a feature at some point.

1 Like

Just add one of these.

3 Likes

@Guinnless :grinning::grinning::grinning:

Endless tweaking and never enjoying the music. A nightmare indeed!

1 Like

To be fair, traditional analog tone controls and DSP are completely different animals. And the various Muso models all use extensive DSP to control the drivers and to make the crude adjustment (distance from wall) mentioned here. I agree that more DSP options should be available.

There is a ability to enable or disable inputs on Uniti models and NDX 2 for example, but same feature is not available in Mu-so products.

So for my Atom I can disable inputs so I only see them frequently used ones on first page. Not sure why this feature is not available in Mu-so settings. Perhaps its the touch control dial.

I hope one day Naim will make the input icons movable by simple touch and hold function.

The app is lacking but I think with time and user feedback it will get more user friendly.

No tone adjustment available on any Naim product. I agree that tone adjustments is not associated with Hi-Fi audio systems. I would never expect Naim to add this.

Apart from the nod to “loudness” and “distance from wall” Naim presumably feel that introducing of tone controls of any kind, detracts from the pure sound.
I can imagine some owners cranking up the bass & treble and in the process making them sound terrible in real, high fidelity terms.
Best left well alone.

True enough. I have no dog in this fight, not a Muso fan. But other manufacturers–Technics, for example–have one-box systems that allow you to use your phone’s microphone to measure in-room response and make suitable adjustments. I have no idea how well this works, but it’s not the same thing as cranking up the bass or the treble. And in a larger sense, sophisticated DSP is the next wave, like it or not, especially with active, stand-alone speaker systems.

Does the new version have a headphone out? That was my biggest disappointment with ours. A really stupid oversight considering the ‘lifestyle’ these are aimed at.

I can’t imagine a phone microphone being such high quality as to return great results to be honest. Perhaps with a studio grade AKG it might but…

You are just measuring the relative level and providing it’s calibrated roughly to the phone (for example by using test tones in the near field) it would be fine. No need for a studio quality microphone I think.

Best

David

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.