Mu-so play music from MacBook (or server)

Hello everyone, I would like to know if with Mu-so 2 through the APP it is possible to play music loaded on my MacBook.
I also see the “Server” option but I don’t understand how to use it.
Can anyone explain to me?
Thank you all!

1 Like

You need to install an UPnP server on the Macbook, then the app can find it through the Server input. Asset is the most commonly used UPnP server, some prefer Minimserver for classical.

1 Like

Hi Tony, you have several options. For example:
Use the Apple Music app and stream to the Muso using Airplay.
Put UPnP server software on the Mac and use that to serve music files to the Muso.

1 Like

I’ve been trying Asset upnp for a few days.
Honestly it works really bad, when I turn on the MacBook it takes at least 5 minutes to find the signal on the Naim App, then every now and then the signal loses it and disappears from the App for another 5 minutes. If this is the result, I think it is absolutely not worth the 39 euros.
Maybe I am doing something wrong?

Asset is one of the most popular and well supported music servers around, and it should work reliably. There may well be something in your config or network that is causing you problems. I haven’t used it for some time so I’m probably not the best person to help here, but if you’re getting nowhere the Asset users forum is a great resource and the developer himself usually responds to setup problems.

1 Like

I think most people here run Asset UPnP on a NAS which is permanently on. In my case I have it installed on two NASs and the Naim app finds these instantly. Perhaps running it on a computer is not so smooth, but I suspect a network issue may be at the root of the problem. Normal advice would be to try wiring everything (laptop and Muso) and see if you still encounter problems. That’s a fiddle with modern MacBooks which don’t have ethernet ports but if you have the right wires to hand, I’d try that as a start. Otherwise, I’d follow @ChrisSU’s advice and post on the Asset forum.

Roger

1 Like

You have a point, perhaps Asset doesn’t like the Mac being shut down and reopened, although having tried other UPnP servers, and more recently Roon, on a MacBook I haven’t found this to be a problem.
A wired connection is simply a case of using a USB to Ethernet adapter, which is cheap and easy, and works flawlessly for me with Roon, although I find WiFi OK too.

Tony, have you tried an alternative to Asset to see if your network is to blame? The easiest way to test this, with no cost, would be to open Apple Music on the Mac and use AirPlay to stream the music to your Muso.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.