Mu-so QB wired vs wireless setup: can you alternate?/Longevity

I listen to Unity Atom in my living room with wired speakers and bought this to listen to music while I work too. I will be listening to the speaker in my home office mostly and at first was thinking I would connect wired. However, sometimes I may want to carry the speaker to my kitchen or bedroom to listen on weekends. If you set it up as wired, can you just unplug it and listen wirelessly if you move it? Or do you need to choose a consistent connection? (Also, what is your guess for how long this speaker will last? I usually keep things until the technology forces me to rebuy/update. Is the WiFi it supports what would make this speaker obsolete in future? Same question on Atom.)

Deleting my post because apparently you were talking about the QB as per the title of your post, and it’s not about the Atom and its speakers at all. I was confused

1 Like

There should be no problem moving the QB around. If your network has discovery issues you may find that you need to restart the router if it doesn’t appear after a few seconds but hopefully this won’t be necessary.
Also you may find that the Naim app asks you to set up the QB as a new device when you try to connect it over WiFi.

As for lifespan, Naim equipment is serviceable and generally lasts a long time. I doubt WiFi would be an issue as older versions are generally backwards compatible with new ones as they are released. All the current Naim streamers run 802.11ac which pretty much the latest WiFi version in use in home networking.

1 Like

I use a Qb connected by WiFi most of the time, but I have also taken it on holiday several times and used it with Ethernet cable then. I never have to do anything. If you plug a live Ethernet cable in then it disconnects the WiFi and if you unplug it again the WiFi reconnects automatically. It can take a minute or so each time, but if you are moving it then that won’t matter.

1 Like

That’s the way it should work, but my QB2 drops off the network if I pull the Ethernet cable and isn’t discovered. There is no option to manually select wired or wireless.

1 Like

Our QB is wireless and flawless. Move it anywhere where it needs sure and it just works. Move it back to wireless and again it just works. No demands from the app etc.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.