Mu-so QB won’t stream Apple Music

Hello All. I am also having an Apple music connecting problem with my QB2, but it is different from Jonas’ issue. In my case, the Apple device can find the QB2, connect to it, and play music, BUT, Airplay will not show up as an input icon in the Naim App - even though “input enabled” is checked in the input settings in the Naim app. Thots? This is a new Apple device (ipad mini gen 6) and i don’t have any other apple devices to test for comparison. The QB2 is on the 5ghz band of the router, and the Ipad on the 2.4 band, but , again, note the ipad has no problem finding the QB2 to play music - i just have no control over the Airplay input in the Naim app because it does not show up. The Naim app has always worked properly with adding and removing other inputs, eg Tidal. I look forward to any helpful suggestions.

There is no selection of AirPlay as an input in the Naim app. It just needs to be enabled in the app settings and that’s it. You control everything from the app you use, and select your Naim streamer as an AirPlay client from there.
Once you have done this you can still see what’s playing from within the Naim app and use the play, pause and volume controls.

Just to update on my issue. Today I gave it a new try with a hope that the last couple of updates from apple would have sorted it out. Same problem. Anyone in here any new ideas?

Did Steve Harris try to sort it out with you? I can’t offer any practical advice but can just reiterate that I have no problems with my QB1 and Apple Music on multiple Apple devices - that is an old iPad with out of date IOs, recent iPhone SE, and a new MacBook Air (bought since I last posted). Your problem is very mysterious - good luck.

Hi all,

We have fixed most issues based on changing the IP address range to the normal private range for LAN side networks (192.168.xx.xx or 10.0.xx.xx etc). So far this has fixed most issues on Airplay streaming.

In the case of @JonasHusabo we have purchased the same router model and one of my Friday afternoon “todo” jobs is to work out why it won’t allow Airplay2 PTP traffic through it. I’m pretty sure this will be a router firmware bug or mesh networking logic ‘quirk’ but I’m interested why.

Naim use Apple’s Airplay2 source code in our products and don’t modify it in any way, so this is not a Naim only centric issue.

Best wishes

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

I’m experiencing exactly the same problem with AirPlay and my first gen Muso after purchasing a new Amplifi Alien today. Either the connection drops to my Muso after a few seconds or there’s simply no audible output from the Muso even though the connection is maintained and (oddly) manipulating the volume control in Apple Music on my iPhone is mirrored on the Muso’s dial.

I’m including a link below to one of my earlier posts about the problem with immediately started with Muso firmware v1.7. I got a copy of firmware 1.6 from a fellow forum member and reinstalled it at least ten times with the same results - v1.7 killed Airplay while v1.6 restored normal operation. My router at the time was the AmpliFi HD System using two of their mesh points.

Naim Support dug into it with me along with Amplifi Support and only Naim seemed to make any progress. They were adamant it was my router even though Muso firmware v1.7 was not only the trigger but Airplay resumed when I reinstalled v1.6. In their favor, moving my Muso upstairs and two feet away from my AmpliFi HD core router restored Airplay while using firmware v.1.6 as well as replacing the Amplifi with a Velop mesh system (which didn’t stay long as nodes kept dropping for no reason).

I’m very much interested in Steve’s findings here as I’d love to keep the Alien as it’s the fastest (and lowest latency) router I’ve tried at home but if I can’t get AirPlay to work, it’s going back to the store for a refund. For what it’s worth I can tell you which mesh routers I’ve tested work just fine with AirPlay 2. Eero’s second gen Pro unit (wifi 5), Beacons and third gen (wifi 6) Pro as well as Plume (wifi 5 and 6) Superpods work flawlessly here should we not get a solution for our Aliens.

Oh, here’s that link to one of my old posts about it on another user’s thread who experienced the same issue: Airplay Muso-1 iOS - #8 by Steeve

I have had no issues with Airplay 2 using Netgear Orbi routers (currently using the RBK753).

Naim support is really digging in deep to find the reason. I just curious to why this only happens with my Muso 1gen, of all my IoTs. Well, and I really hope there is fix. Would be interesting to know if Muso 2gen experiences the same problem with my router. I saw another post that had or have the same issue.

Really interesting to read Dave. Is the problem still there with Muso firmware v2.0? And yes, apart from the issue with Muso I like my Alien router.

Really appreciate your determination on finding out why this is happening, And hopefully there is some sort of fix because I really really miss the true sound of my Muso:) Still, we gave it a good run. Thanks:)

Hi Jonas,

Unfortunately it’s there with v2.0. The only change in my system that brought the problem back was when I replaced my Plume mesh yesterday with a new AmpliFi Alien system. I bought two routers (not the mesh kit) and enabled “Ethernet Backbone” with them after connecting my Gateway Alien to the second Alien node via Ethernet. I’ve also tried wireless backhaul with both Aliens with no change (zero audible output from my Muso) as well as just one Alien by itself.

Right before I ran into your thread here yesterday I reinstalled my Plume system and then tried my eero system (with wireless and wired backhaul on each) and Airplay works flawlessly from my Muso as it has been for the last three years plus since I replaced the AmpliFi HD system due to the same issue.

I’ll keep my Aliens boxed up here until Steve Harris reports his findings. I’ve got 29 days left until I have to return them though to be honest I’ll probably return them next weekend if it turns out to require a fix that’s out of Steve’s control and may or may not be ready before my return deadline hits.

Best,

Dave

Yleah, I know. This seems to be an Amplifi related issue. Though i hope there is some sort of fix. If there is, Steve at Naim will find it , I am sure:)

Hello, let me add two cents of mine, since I’ve been having the same, or a very similar issue.

My current setup is Mu-so gen1, Amplifi Alien, Mac Mini M1, iPad Pro M1, iPhone XS Max. My Alien has been deployed since August 2021, and I had absolutely no issues with AirPlay on iOS 14 / Big Sur, with Mu-so running an older, pre-2.0 version of software.

The problems with AirPlay emerged right after the Monterrey / iOS 15 update. I could see my Mu-so in the list of available AirPlay devices and I was able to stream to it. However, once my iPad or Mac went to sleep with music on, I was unable to connect to Mu-so after waking the device up with the symptoms described above - connecting, trying to stream for 4-5 seconds, then the connection dropping back to Mac / iPad. Everything started to work normally again after a reboot. The issue didn’t occur also when I disconnected from Mu-so manually instead of letting the connection time-out and drop automatically. To make things even more interesting, the only devices affected are my M1 iPad Pro and Mac. There are no issues whatsoever on my iPhone nor my older, non-M1 iPad.

Believing that the actual issue was caused by a M1-specific bug in the AirPlay code on Monterrey / iOS 15 I opened a ticket with Apple back in November. Last time I heard from them (late November) was that they are working on the issue and a possible fix might be delivered in future updates. However knowing Apple and the way they handle issues they consider ‘niche’ I don’t have my hopes up (see the infamous audio balance bug).

For the time being I stream to my Mu-so via Bluetooth, since rebooting my devices every few hours isn’t really a solution, however it would be awesome to have AirPlay working again. If you good Naim folks would like any more details from me, just give me a shout.

Interesting to read about you issue @HelveticaStandard From what I understand from; you think it might be an apple issue?

As I posted above a couple of times, I have had no problems with Apple connections to my Muso QB1 (using a BT router plus Apple Extreme wifi). After my first post I posted again 11 days ago because Jonas was still having problems and I was trying to give him some encouragement, although solving the problem is beyond my capabilities. In between the two posts I acquired a new MacBook Air with M1 processor and Airplay has worked fine with the Muso from the beginning. Isn’t the router the common element in this problem?

1 Like

Keep in mind that I never completed full troubleshooting with a different router and a different AirPlay speaker, however, summing things up:

1. I had absolutely no issues with AirPlay and the Alien before updating to iOS15/Monterey;
  2. AirPlay still works fine for me with the Alien and Mu-so, but only when I use my old, non-M1 iPad and iPhone;
  3. My issue occurs only on my M1 hardware under very specific condition: the device must be sleeping when the disconnection from AirPlay happens. It does not occur when AirPlay is disconnected manually;
  4. Rebooting of my M1 device clears the issue until the next time AirPlay disconnects while the device is sleeping.

All of the above led me to believe that this might in fact be an Apple issue. There might be more pieces to this puzzle, though, or it might even be possible that we are affected by different issues which manifest in a similar fashion.

PS. Still happening in iOS 15.4.

From what I understand this issue is now thoroughly isolated as an Amplify (router) issue. So there is nothing wrong with NAIM Muso, it’s all down to the router (my Amplify Alien). I dont have the technical insight, so someone knowing more about this issue need to clearify.

Thanks for the update, Jonas. As much as I liked the Alien I took it back to the store and got a refund before my return period expired. I figured this would be the case as Muso’s Airplay works just fine on my eero and Plume mesh systems.

I found a workaround (it requires a Mac, though). When streaming to the Mu-so fails and drops back to iPad, select streaming to a Mac instead. This should confuse Music, and it will try streaming to both outputs - the Mac and the Mu-so, and this time the latter will work correctly. Then it’s a simple matter of disabling the output to the Mac and voila.

It is not perfect, but it seems to work for me. That’s another thing that makes me believe it is an Apple issue (at least in my particular case), but I have ordered a new Asus router anyway. Once it arrives I will do some more tests.

That is an interesting solution! However, I went all in and gott rid of my computer when I bought my iPad Pro.