Mu-so QB won’t stream Apple Music

Looks like your topic got deleted, why?

My post on AMPLIFI : Alien filters PTP, Airplay dont work. | AmpliFi

Hi Jonas,

I never got a proper reply from Amplifi for any form of fix, or ack of the issue. So far I can’t really point the finger of blame at Apple on this one, as there is a clear issue on incorrect traffic bridging through their router.

From Naim’s side we’re incorporating Apple source code and then going through a strict certification process at Apple HQ in California. It doesn’t mean its bomb proof, but technically its passed 1000’s of tests and its code that has run in millions of devices as its Apple code.

On this one the finger of blame is unfortunately with that router provider and their firmware.

By the way, I sent the router back to Amazon :slight_smile:

Regards

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

I’m also having this issue with my Muso Gen 1 and have an Amplifi router. I don’t have any problems using airplay to my Nd5xs2 though on the same network so is this a specific problem related to the interaction between Muso and Amplifi routers only?

I’ve only experienced it with my Amplifi HD and Alien systems. My eero Pro and Beacons (gen 2), Pro 6, Linksys Velop WHW0303 and Plume Superpod 5 and 6 all perform flawlessly with Airplay 2 and my Muso.

Yes this is isolated as an issue caused by how amplifi routers incorrectly filters PTP return path.

So I just ordered a new Netgear Nighthawk RAX200. Really hope Netgear will do the trick.
It does not seem likely that Ubiquiti is going to offer a fix about how their amplifi routers mess up Airplay2.

Thanks for the update, Steve:)
This is now thoroughly proven to be an Amplifi alien router issue. I also posted something at the Amplifi community describing the issue. No respond so far.

Unfortunately I have had my router for almost 8 months (hoping for some sort of fix). I actually bough amplifi alien this router to get the most of the Apple Music improved sound quality.

Update: I have just ordered a new Netgear Nighthawk RAX200, hoping this router has no issues with Airplay!

Thanks for your dedicated help on this.

I am happy with my muso QB!

Unfortunately the issue persists with an Asus RT-AX89X.

That’s not good at all! I am away for this Easter so I won’t get my hands on the Netgear Nighthawk RAX200 I ordered until next week. I’ll keep you updated.

Just for fun I unpacked my old Amplifi HD system w/two mesh points and set it up temporarily to see if it still doesn’t work with my Muso and Airplay 2.0.

Well, once I got everything back online and upgraded the Amplifi HD’s firmware from whatever it had in 2019 to current (v3.6.3) and wouldn’t you know it…Airplay works flawlessly now when casting from an iMac about thirty feet and a floor up from my Muso (same client device locations as back in 2019).

The only other change I made with anything compared to 2019’s setup was placing the playroom’s mesh node on the opposing wall in front of the Muso vs on the same wall as the Muso and about 4 feet away in 2019. I also positioned the gateway HD router in our front upstairs office vs in a central bedroom as it was in 2019. This places the gateway now about twenty feet and two walls further away from the Muso’s mesh point than it was in 2019.

Go figure…

Hi @HelveticaStandard

I use Asus routers here and Airplay works fine through them… however Asus routers are not the easiest to setup as they handle a lot of modes.

It indicates that the router is in the wrong mode and hence blocking the traffic. What mode do you have it in? see:
https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1015007/

Best

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

Hi Stevesky, thanks for the suggestion. The router is set to the wireless router mode.

Hi @HelveticaStandard,

The setting required depends on what the router is doing on your network.

So:
“wireless router mode” - it is the primary access point in your house. Typically taking the ethernet incoming from your ISP, acting as the firewall, DHCP server (gives out IP addresses), and doing address translation from the outside world (WAN) to the inside world LAN. One of the most common mistakes is plug the WAN cable into a LAN side port.

“Access Point mode” you are using the existing internet providers modem to do all the above and you just want to add a wireless access point to the network.

It indicates that you might need “access point mode”, but if you can provide more details of what’s connected to what on the network then we can advice.

best

Steve

Hi @Stevesky,

The router does serve as the DHCP server in my LAN. It is behind the ISP’s modem, which is running in bridge mode with the WiFi and DHCP disabled. I would be very reluctant to switch the router to access point, as I need certain ports forwarded inside my LAN (eg. to be able to access my NAS from WAN), and the ISP’s modem does not offer that functionality to me.

As for the other devices, a Synology NAS and Naim Mu-so are plugged into the router via hard-wired Ethernet. I also have an iPad Pro M1, macMini M1 and iPhone XS Max connecting to WiFi set up as a single SSID with merged 5 and 2.4 GHz networks. Let me know if you would like any more details.

Hi @HelveticaStandard

The mode you are in is correct. For sure, don’t change it or it will expose your LAN onto the WAN.

Can you let us know the IP address range for the DHCP. eg. 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.255. We have seen in the past of issues with Airplay and some IP ranges.

Best

Steve

@Stevesky

My network is configured with the 10.0.1.0/24 range (remainder from the old days of AirPort Extreme).

Everything works fine with my Netgear Nighthawk RAX200

1 Like

So this is how things are going with my post in Amplifi community: Alien filters PTP, Airplay dont work. | AmpliFi

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.