Munich hifi show 2019

If true, Mr. Henderson would be well advised to find alternative support and distribution channels, that return relative to business risk is extremely poor.

The way to increase profit is to increase price or reduce quality; neither of which would fly. You are not going to get rich making hifi.

3 Likes

Perhaps not, but at 100% markup, there is 27 million elsewhere in the supply chain for shipping and retailing, with much less or no business risk.

Spot on. If Naim were purely about making money theyā€™d get out of this business and start making low cost iPod accessories or something.

As for markup, when I was in the trade there were vastly different margins on gear. Anywhere from 15% to 50% but in all the years I worked the shop floor and dem room was I ever instructed to steer a customer towards something with more markup. My managers had a lot of integrity and always put the customer first. None of them ever got rich either.

Generally, in this business, the customers, the dealers, and the manufacturers are in it for the love of it. They are not trying to maximise profit. They are trying to maximise profit within the boundaries of doing what they love.

There will always be those that are unscrupulous and give the whole thing a bad reputation for crazy 200% markups and selling snake oil. But I think they are outnumbered by passionate people.

5 Likes

This is exactly why I have enjoyed the upgrade journey over the last few years. The dealers I have done business with are genuinely nice people, with a shared passion, so itā€™s just fun to do business with them.

2 Likes

As usual I am going to provide the forum with some insights of my visit to the show this year. I will already go on Friday, and might also go for a second day. Not promising I will look into all, but please let me know if you have questions or interests in what I should publish about. Obviously I will cover the new Naim thing.

11 Likes

Have fun!

You can say hello to @richarddaneā€¦he will be the very tall one possibly in a pink shirtšŸ˜‰

Black and white photos only, please :open_mouth:

Looking forward to your Show Report, Bert, as usual.

Hope you enjoy it.

1 Like

Thanks

in 2 days you will tell us what on hell is that new naim product to be launched :exploding_head::grinning:

Whilst I guess that I may be the only one interested (unless those that subscribed to the Harbeth thread do so), I would be interested in Graham Audio speakers. I think there should be two new versions a Mini VOTU and an LS5/9f. Whilst I think they make great speakers, they are not the best at keeping potential customers up to date.

1 Like

Just read a raving review on the Ultrasone Saphire in earsā€¦, I will def8nitely have a listen at these babies

1 Like

Was just thinking @BertBird will report first :sunglasses:

1 Like

This was a review from a magazine I was referring to. And of course I expect the new babies to be at the show. I will be at the show on Friday.

Hi Bert!

If you have the opportunity to listen to small speakers (small drivers) it would be very much appreciated.

My current speaker are JMR Abscisse (v1) , ribbon twitter and 13 cm drivers. I like them a lot, they are fast and detailed. The bottom end is thinner then bigger speakers, but quite enough for my room. It is however detailed and fast. The mid/upper is simply amazing.

Iā€™m looking for the same characteristics but somewhat more revealing with a more detailed sound-stage.

I thought about Focal Diablo Utopia, Apertura Adamante, Piega Coax 511 or simply the new release of the JMR Abscisse (Abscisse JubilƩ).

So if you listen to one of these or some other speakers with the same characteristics your opinion would help.

Enjoy the visit!

Ok will see if I get to it, will make a todo list :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bert, Iā€™d be interested to read observations about the new Vitus SIA-030 integrated if you get the opportunity to pop in to their room and have a listen :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have put all on the list, but canā€™t promise itā€™s too bigā€¦, but if I get to it I will give you my impressionā€¦

1 Like