Munich show 2024

I am no longer a Naim owner, but…
To me, it seems sad that one of the bright lights in the UK audio industry is now subject to the whims of a company who might not share Naim’s standards. Has Naim changed from a company whose primary interest is in quality to one that puts commercial factors way above everything else. I, too, found those shots from Munich to be worrying for the future.

8 Likes

Linn and Naim have / had a similar philosophy.

Compare the photos of the Naim and Linn set ups at the show and the contrast is striking.

DG…

4 Likes

They have the same “sitting pose”

Yes, it was an immediate association when I saw the hem photo :slight_smile:

1 Like

This one is a contender for @JosquinDesPrez . But doubt you will have a Vertere dealer next to you, as you live in US.
2 MC .

1 Like

Just tired, he found an empty room to sleep.

3 Likes

And even compared to a dealer shop.
The 200 and 300 series were even not connected.

1 Like

Well, ok, Naim & Focal’s decision at this edition in Munich looked indeed a bit cheekily opportunistic but looking around, I thought also may be fresh … and it did not actually sound too bad, as set up in the listening space on the general background of hugely complicated, some plainly grotesque but bland and/or boomy hi-end systems on show.
Gave me a chance to also hear the Nova PE, I had no huge expectations, and in fairness it did ok, kind of crisp and punchy, exactly what it’s meant for I guess, and … how I expected it : ). With this being said, moving next door to the full Linn really nicely presented, proper bottle of single malt on the side, money no object, ultimate setup on some bespoke custom made unique stand and Atlas cabling, I must say that I did not really feel more emotion and involvement, however just technically, the Linn SQ was on a completely different level.

6 Likes

Well I’m not so fast to ridicule the Naim setup until comments start coming in saying how all the various manufacturers systems sound.

I am guessing the Naim/Focal system is supposed to visually underwhelm when compared with all the exotica on show & then astound with stunning sound at a bargain basement price compared with much of the other equipment exhibited.

So I am definitely waiting for reports of it’s sound quality & comparisons against other systems in Munich.

2 Likes

Quad 33 303 , " I’ll have dat …, wot no FM3 "

Streamer in a FM3 box ?

1 Like

Naim not quite there at Munich, its like turning up at a BBQ and the host is only serving sausages.

3 Likes

Chord turned up though

8 Likes

The new Quartet Choral scaler with dedicated PSU.

1 Like

Vegan sausages :wink:

3 Likes

Chord is pushing hard the diminishing box count. He also diminishes the size of the box. Maybe a Christmas gift for a child ? Or a Japanese living in 8 m2 apartment ?

Chord unveils the Suzi concept at Munich.

5 Likes

I agree: if Naim were trying to make the one box system an aspirational home design statement, they should have presented it as such in a swanky design setting. Having the Nova PE sitting in a Fraim in front of a bland background is making the Nova look lost and small, especially next to the huge Focal speakers… Not great marketing Naim/Focal…sorry…

9 Likes

True, but I’m pretty much settled on the Boulder. It ticks the boxes for me: sounds better than the Superline, has two MC inputs, and it doesn’t have issues with EM interference that the Superline has. I don’t need to consider more. I just need to save more.

2 Likes

Well the CEO of the whole shabang is formely CMO.

I’ve only ever seen Naim at hifi shows exhibited by dealers, never by Naim. Which makes me wonder if the exhibit here is just Focal really? Whatever it’s surely no way to sell what is for many people an aspirational product. Hope the play list is special.

2 Likes

Thorens for the Dutch market? :laughing:

9 Likes