Murray Walker

Has passed away, I must admit to being saddened by the news

1 Like

Yes a sad day, the voice of motor sport, a true legend.

2 Likes

Ohhhhhhhhhh :frowning:
Very sad, he was a near neighbour in Sandleheath.

1 Like

I’ll always remember the banter between him and James Hunt on F1 broadcasts. Classic and missed!

1 Like
2 Likes

A true legend of the sport who will be much missed. I’m sure he’ll be having a laugh with Fangio, Senna, etc, on the other side.
Rest in peace old boy.:pray:

2 Likes

That is really sad. But what a career and much loved by everybody.

Yes shame but 97 is a pretty good go. :checkered_flag:

I’m sure we all look back with tremendous fondness at the Walker & Hunt show, even with cars whizzing around in the foreground.

1 Like

One of the best F1 presenters…great innings❤️

1 Like

My wife and I are both very sad about this. “that car is unique, except for the one behind it.” Lots of memories…

RIP Murray.

3 Likes

RIP. The authentic voice of F1 from my childhood. Used to watch the black and gold JPS cars with my mother - and prey he never said they looked set for victory. That was usually worth at least one mechanical failure!

2 Likes

I didn’t realise he wrote the slogan “Opal Fruits —made to make your mouth water.

3 Likes

And ‘ A Mars a day…’ I believe. Better than an apple😀 Cheers Murray!

1 Like

Sad news. A great commentator and a lovely man.

I don’t make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.

2 Likes

A good documentary about Murray Walker. RIP the voice of F1.

2 Likes

Really sad, one of those iconic voices that really evokes memories.

Sorry to digress but made me think how much I miss Bill McLaren commentating on rugby.

1 Like

RIP Murray. One of the broadcasting greats, and a thoroughly nice bloke.

I’m glad a thread has been started here as I am truly upset to hear the news about Murray. Being of a certain age I grew up on his F1 and indeed rallycross commentaries and that sparked my lifelong enjoyment of F1. I even remember Raymond Baxter too!. It was just the sheer enjoyment and enthusiasm brought to your room by a man who clearly loved his job. His respect for Nigel Mansell and Damon Hill I also remember Red 5!. Unlike today’s polished commentators Murray’s genuine excitement made F1 a must watch on the BBC in the 90s with James Hunt. So sad. I think we should have the Murray Walker British Grand Prix this summer at Silverstone with crowds. I’ll be there if allowed

2 Likes

That would be an interesting get together - Fangio, Walker and Senna. Senna may have a problem given Walker puts him behind Fangio and his greatest rival Prost.