Music, beautiful music (in general)

I would say a Rega 3, an io, the speakers you describe and perhaps a Wim or small Project CD player would be a very good combination, if you like it represents base camp , from there on in it is the law of diminishing returns.

As for beautiful music , I prefer classical plus acoustic. Listening to Eva Cassidy on the Acoustic CD/vinyl is one of the most beautiful albums I have heard, by the same token Love’s Forever Changes has some really wonderful harmonies

Would I describe Ziggy Stardust as beautiful or Who’s Next as beautiful ? No , but musical and grabbing you by your sense - Yes

1 Like

A good indicator of great music (be it the composition, the performance or both) is when you put on a piece of music whilst you’re busy doing something else, and after a couple of minutes you just have to stop what you are doing, sit down and listen intensely.

You can’t fight it. Just wonderful.

3 Likes

Hello, Ian, ‘Forever Changes’ is one of my top five albums ever.

I had the pleasure of seeing Love’s Arthur Lee (and band) at a tiny music club in London, as they were warming up before appearing at that year’s Glastonbury Festival.

1 Like

I have it on CD and vinyl, there are not too many albums where I have it on multiple formats.

The CD :cd: has some outtakes and it shows how hard Lee drove them , the highly polished sound and smooth harmonies were the result of much hard work

Whilst Forever Changes is superb , Da Capo is nearly as good and often overlooked

Hoping you are well

Ian

Possibly you are going psychotic, but I agree a quality replay system playing favourite pieces of music, just like your favourite live listening space can be a treat on the senses and be very satisfying.
Sound whether it be in nature, certain voices or music can provoke huge emotional responses… and when we can heighten that response perhaps through the self satisfaction of a replay system that we have curated, invested in, and developed over a period of time that can amplify that emotional response.

For me when I have those epiphany moments… rare but rewarding in live or replay situations I actually start crying… praying no one notices me.

I think it’s also fair to say you don’t need a super quality system or acoustic environment to achieve this, you simply need a system you feel very satisfied with or a space to connect to. After all music recording and replay is significantly compromised and massively removed from reality and is often processed to appeal to our senses and tastes. I guess one needs to avoid artefacts that unduly detracts from the experience however in replay or when listening. One downside with more revealing systems I find is that they show up more readily production and mixing flaws than can detract.

3 Likes

Hi Fi is like wine - the older we get the more we have to spend to really enjoy it. Oh, to still enjoy a Dansette and a bottle of Blue Nun!

2 Likes

And Da Capo has the wonderful ‘The Castle’ - once used, if my memory is correct, as the theme tune for a TV holiday show.

The Elektra label could do little wrong in those years - The Doors, Tim Buckley, Love, Bread, a young Carly Simon, to name a few.

1 Like

And yet most Love people I know think side 2 of Da Capo is only passable at best, and quite a few less so. I play it occasionally, but it’s not their finest at all imho and sounds directionless.

Hey ho, vive le difference.

I am wondering what part of it could be used for a TV show… I’ll ask a Love guy I know of in LA. He may know. And I’ll check the Pegasus book. Interesting :thinking:

1 Like

I think that they might have been trying to ‘outDo(or)’ their label mates by having a ‘long song’ to close the album.

Possibly so.
I think it emerged out of a previous song/s (maybe a jam - Gethsemane? which never saw the light of day iirc.) I vaguely remember someone in the Love circle (I think…Johnny Echols maybe) saying that the original jam was better but didn’t make it to tape…not certain though - it’s been awhile since I read up on Love.

‘OutDo(or)’

Clever! :grin:

I have a half decent system as my main listening experience and I compare other rooms in the house with it. I have a second system in the study and yet a third in what has now become a summer room. I am just about to swap the study with the summer system. While I am doing that I have set up an Auralic Altair, Nait2 and fyne audio 302 speakers while I swap kit. Main room 2nd hand value 50-60K. Nait2 system value around 2-2.2 K. If I had to, I could live with either. It is just as musical even if it lacks the clarity and room filling smoothness of the main kit. It really is about whether the music flows. Naim seem to have that nailed for me.