Music Chain

Ten days and no follow up - so I’ll do one myself (again):

Deep Purple’s Smoke on the water - this from the Made in Japan live album, complete with video (albeit poor quality B&W):

Cheech and Chong’s Up In Smoke various artists

1 Like

Black smoke yen by Van der Graaf Generator, from their first album Aerosol grey machine

Smokie Living Next Door to Alice
:grin:

Well, it just has to link to this:

Alice’s restaurant by Arlo Guthrie. Although very much a product of its time, the sentiment of the lyrics are no less meaningful (and humourous) today. For anyone who hasn’t heard it I commend at least trying a couple of minutes.

3 Likes

Don Henley. Sunset Grill.

1 Like

Two suns in the sunset - Pink Floyd’s deeply moving closing track from The final cut, including the immortal line “it seems the human race is run”…

Oh dear, more than a week again with no links. I’ll have one more go:

This one was the first track I heard with bass - when I was building my first hifi system in 1969 this was released. I had bought the drivers for my speakers, but not yet build cabinets, however I was keen to hear something so made makeshift enclosures in armchairs using cushions to create the walls and seal around the drivers. The result absolutely hooked me when the bass comes in on this track, the first one I played. Those makeshift enclosures performed better than the wooden ones I then built…

Here comes the sun, opening track on what was side 2 of Abbey Road by the Beatles.

2 Likes

George Harrison Here Comes the Moon from his self titled album

It’s astonishing just how much very high quality music George Harrison released just as The Beatles were reaching their end. I suppose that he had been storing up some of it, but I have just bought a new LP set of ‘All Things Must Pass’, and have been amazed again at the abundance of great music across the album’s many sides.

2 Likes

His last album is worth a listen as well.

What title does that album have, Pete?

And is ‘Set On You’ on a George Harrison album? That was an insanely catchy single!

His last album (released after his death) was Brainwash and Got My Mind Set On You is from his Cloud 9 album.

Moving a bit further afield.

Thanks for that.

From 1986

Sigue Sigue Sputnik - Love Missile F1-11

2 Likes

Sputnik immediately suggests this:

Telstar by the Tremeloes. I don’t actually have a copy, but a gem nonetheless - from 61 years ago!

Walking on the Moon by the Police

1 Like

Staying with moon…
Beethoven’s Moonlight sonata, this version by Van Cliburn dating back to about 1971, though I didn’t hear it till it was released on CD 20 years later. The track and album converted me from considering solo piano music as rather uninteresting to recognising that it can be brilliant. Can’t find it on youtube, so this will have to do:

1 Like

Moonglow - Title track from Tobias Sammat’s Avantasia
Ft Candice Night