Music File modifications

I have recently purchased a Naim system (Unity, Core and Cube). I wanted to make a few modifications to database and was hoping some folk have done the same and can advise??

1. can rename an artist (say The Pogues to Pogues) and the artist moves in file on laptop, but still shows as The Pogues on the Naim App - how do I change this?
  2. how to download art for the artist - rather than an album title - eg, 4 Pogue’s albums, would like seperate art for artist rather than an album artwork?
  3. how to download the artist summary - Naim appears to do this for some artists, but not others. Is there a way to download artist summaries?
    Any help appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Paul

Hi Paul
If you are referring to CD rips done on the Core, it’s important to make these changes only via the Naim app. If they are other music files that you have put in the Core’s Downloads folder, different rules apply.

Hi Chris,
Thanks for getting in touch. Background is I had about 2000 cd’s on my mac, so these were transferred to the core. Some copied over with art, notes etc., other didn’t. So started doing it manually, hence the questions. I can download the artwork ok on my mac, and this shows up on my core app, but I can not change an album title (for example) or move a file to a new location. On the mac it is ok, but the core app does not recognise the change. Happy to do this via the Naim app on my ipad, but I don’t know how to do it?? I don’t appear to make any changes to data within the naim app.?? Does this make sense to you??
Many thanks,
Paul

Hi, as these are not CDs ripped on the Core you cannot edit them in the Naim app.
So using a Mac to navigate to the files and edit them is the way forwards, but how exactly are you doing this? I use Matadatics, which is a great app for editing metadata on a Mac.
Once you have made some edits, if your Atom doesn’t show them, in the app go to Settings > Other Settings > Rebuild Music Database to force an update.
I’m not 100% sure this will solve your problem, but give it a try.
Good luck!

Hi Chris, thanks for the advise. I’ll try it over the weekend and hopefully it does the trick.
Cheers,
Paul

Hi Chris, not familiar withMatadatics. I have inserted the covers by downloading via google image. The artwork shows up in the Naim app. However, if I modify a title of artis or album, the Mac saves it, but it does not show in the app. I tried rebuild music database, but it did not work!!!

I’m also a fan of Metadatics. It’s easy to use and sets the metadata out in a neat spreadsheet-like form which makes it straightforward to modify and see what you’re doing. Has some useful advanced features too.

Apologies: can’t help with the Core.

Roger

Hello Paul,
where did you change the title or the album?
In the filename or in the metadata?
greeting
Manfred

Hi Manfred,
I changed the data within the Uniticore file located on my Mac. Very easy and well structure. Open file, shows artists, click down a level, shows albums by artist, click down a level shows track listing. From there I can import artwork in jpeg. I can change album/artist details and it will implement these changes on the Mac, but only the artwork shows when I open the Naim app on my iPad??

Not to great with the technical aspects, but I believe it is the filename I am altering, not getting into the metadata (where the actual data is??)

Paul

Hello Paul,
Unfortunately, I don’t have the Core or Mac, but to change the metadata of the music files you need a tag editor. In windows I use the mp3tag program, which as far as I know is also available for the Mac.
With it you can then change all data such as the title name or the artist name and you can also embed the cover images in the tags.
greeting
Manfred

There are two completely separate things in play here:
Files have names, as do the folders in which they are stored. You can navigate to them in the Mac’s Finder, and edit them there too.
Then there are tags, aka metadata. These are digital information held within a file, regardless of the file name. It’s these names that are used in a music streamer to browse your collection, not the file/folder names. A metadata editor such as Metadatics will allow you to edit this information, which should then show up in the Naim app.

A Mac version of MP3tag has just been released. No idea if it’s any good as I’ve always used Metadatics, which is Mac only and works very well.

Hi Chris,
Managed to modify everything I wanted on the download file. However, I have a music file which holds all the information ripped via the Naim system. I have been using mP3tag over the weekend. The exec files on Naim tell me to download an app to do this, but I can’t do this. Any suggestion??
Many thanks,
Paul

Hi Manfred,
Used the mp3tag - excellent on all stuff, but it can’t open the naim ripped cd’s. Any idea why?
Cheers,
Paul

Hi Paul, mp3tag (at least the Windows version I use) works on the metadata tags embedded in the music files. WAV files ripped by Naim rippers use a different tagging model with the tales held in an external file, and can’t be edited by an external tool, only the Naim app.
Edited as I originally said editing was by the ripper when I should have written app.

Hi,
Many thanks for the information. I thought it might be via the app, but I can find no way of getting to the metadata via the naim app. Any ideas??
Regards,
Paul

You select the album in question and tap the three dots in the top right hand corner of the screen. This gives you a drop down menu. If you are looking at an album in the music folder rather than in the download folder, you will see the menu option “Edit metadata”.

Best

David

Hello Paul,
I’m sorry for answering so late
but as I can see, all questions have already been answered.
greeting

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.