Music suggestions please

With acoustic and slide in one sentence it is hard not to mention Bjørn Berge or, indeed, Bob Brozman, or Rory Block, or David Lindley. Sans slide, there are Michael Hedges and Julian Lage and Jacob Fischer and Andy McKee. Apart from those, there are two hundred million others and then there are all the ones that go under the radar. This thread already has a couple of musicians I didn’t know, already on the next purchase list :slightly_smiling_face:. I consider just auto-appending this to my grocery list.

I just got to thinking…! Windham Hill and Taylor (the guitar company) released a couple of albums called “Sounds of Wood and Steel”. They are really good and span the gamut of steel string guitar. The obvious ones like Will Ackerman, Laurence Juber and Leo Kottke, and then the less obvious like Richie Sambora, Joe Lynn Turner and Billy Sheehan.

And then the classical guitars… Slava Grigoryan made a fantastic debut 25 years ago “Spirit of Spain”, with a brilliant tongue-in-cheek version of Carnival of Venice.

2 Likes

This guy is superb and do is this album. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Amazing acoustic guitar(s) - no prisoners taken.

Enjoy

Dave

7 Likes

Pepe Romero - Flamenco!

1 Like

If you like Jazz guitarist - Martin Taylor
Can recommend both of the above.

3 Likes

…as others have mentioned I would give Antonio Forcione a listen.

1 Like

softLOUD

or try an earlier album by sean shibe -softLOUD was a gramophone award winner and includes acoustic and contemporary electric guitar pieces

2 Likes

Isn’t it though? Very generously praised in an old edition of the Penguin Guide and a CD amongst the few I always used to take with me when listening to any potential new addition to my Hifi equipment, back in the day when repertoire didn’t just come straight off the salesman’s iPhone.

Jeff

Paco De Lucia - Siroco

Superb guitarist - well worth a listen !

3 Likes

Try This.
Listen on AmazonMusic
Listen on Tidal

The only thing with Roy Buchanan is that even if he played a piece of dental floss stretched over a cardboard box, it’d sound like he was maiming a telecaster. The exact opposite of acoustic but insanely cool nonetheless.

1 Like

Ry Cooder for slide: any album, really but try A Meeting By the River if you fancy hearing a sitar thrown in.

Not strictly pure acoustic guitar but have a listen to Nick Drake. Pink Moon is a favourite but any of the others are great, too.

2 Likes

@crispyduck super nice suggestion

1 Like

To all who have contributed to this thread, THANKYOU, love this genre, tidal’s in for a good workout.

Paul

2 Likes

The late Michael Hedges .
Aerial Boundaries.

2 Likes