Music you are embarrassed/surprised to admit to liking

Does it matter what others think of your likes and dislikes, at the end of the day, its your collection, you bought the album / single etc because you liked it enough to pay your hard earned cash to own it, our tastes in everything change over our lifetime, its who we are.

Enjoy your music.

Gary

2 Likes

Not in my case - I felt his music was just overblown and didn’t live up to promise.

Thanks Gary. No, now I don’t care what others think of my musical taste, but 45 years ago I felt some need to fit in with my peer group (long haired metal fan).

2 Likes

I think in those days one would have been under more pressure to fit into those skin tight stonewashed jeans.
I remember I had a pair that I got my mum to sew a bar beer cloth/mat on the backside.
I thought that was cool at the time.

I fully understand that, we’ve all been there, now I just think, what the hell, there’s far more serious things happening in the world, to wether someone on here, who I am not likely to ever meet, likes or dislikes my taste in music :musical_note: each to there own, let’s enjoy what we have.

Gary

1 Like

“Fortunately” I was an extremely skinny teenager, my problem was finding a pair skinny enough to be tight to my matchstick legs rather than the alternative.

Perhaps this album. By an unknown uk band. :wink:

3 Likes

The Carpenters “Singles 1969-1973” has been in my all time top ten since I was given the cassette, aged 9.

Double marks for it being a compilation?

9 Likes

I like the odd show tune, or song from a musical.
The last one played was “one” from a chorus line. I think it’s the melodies …
This one:

Another example “don’t cry for me Argentina”.

2 Likes

Not embarrassed these days (or surprised really) but school was different. There was a poll run one day when I was about 13, name your three favourite bands. Not being much into music then all I could think of was the Beatles (good), The Sweet (acceptable), and The Wurzles (not acceptable at all, cringe). Listening to some now, it’s well, OK. Two songs is definitely enough

Maybe I am more tragically uncool than I though. Reading back, I’d have thought there was no shame in The Carpenters, Coldplay (well the first couple albums), etc.

I would never have admitted liking these guys in their mid-70s heyday when I was in my early teens, but I think this is a fantastic song:

2 Likes

Err Alvin Stardust! My Coo Ca Choo. Played it to death and bought a couple of albums!!

I guess this is all the question of what we think is embarrassing versus what other people think is embarrassing.

I remember a few years back, a friend came over to listen to some speakers I was selling. I got outright laughter when I put on Linda Ronstadt. I was thinking, “wait. What? Linda Ronstadt is embarrassing? News to me.

We used to sing along in the car to Solitaire by Andy Williams so I grew up with a liking for his songs. As a teenage Rocker I kept that very quiet indeed.

3 Likes

On long family journeys, we listen to James Last and his many instrumentalists playing Hava Nagila. Not for the whole trip, mind.

James Last. I’ve always thought he was someone who liked getting his money’s worth out of his musicians, he always has the whole bloody lot of them playing at once.

1 Like

One for the jokes thread:

Q. What’s the difference between James Last and a bull?
A. In a bull, the horns are at the front and the a***hole is at the back.

3 Likes

I’m not a fan of Back For Good but I do love their theme from the film Stardust ‘Rule The World’.

2 Likes

G

11 Likes

At least no one has said Vanilla Ice yet.

1 Like