Music & Your Brain

The video is not about sound quality at all.

No, I understood that - perhaps my use of that term was misleading: I was just wondering if it in any way discussed the effect of mood on how humans hear/perceive music - acceptance, enjoyment, appreciation, absorption etc - given that in part it appears to cover the effect of music on mood.

Yes, he does cite peer-reviewed research on many aspects of the mutual relationship between mood and the qualities of how music sounds.

His focus is mainly on how music can improve peoples lives, and can be used to improve peoples lives.

He talks about things like the relationship between drumming and war.

He discusses why and in what ways listening to music and playing instruments is good for us and good for the development of our nervous systems, and that many areas of the brain are coordinated in how we listen to music, and act on it, and learn from it.

He also discusses the especially positive benefits, not only of just listening to music that we already know, but also searching for and listening to new music that we’ve never heard before.

Thanks!
Much I think I will be familiar with (as will many/most people seriously into music listening). Perhaps he also covered music as an aid to concentration and learning (though not necessarily for everyone - some people, I am one, can switch off all un-needed senses while concentrating, whence music makes might as well not be on). And of course as a distraction from those.

The last point you mentioned is interesting as the only benefit I recognise is an expansion of things to enjoy playing when I find something new I like - but hearing lots of music I don’t like is an irritation.

Yes, he covers music as an aid to concentration and learning in detail.

Simplified: concentration on a cognitive task is on average most effective with no music, then with instrumental music, and worst with music with singing that one is very familiar with. Cognitive/linguistic processing reasons why this is the case are discussed.

Anyone who wants to view a topic (such as the one you mention) can simply hover their mouse over the many sub-sections and play the relevant one that appeals to them.

1 Like

The ancient Egyptian Dendera Hieroglyph was in fact depicting an electronic musical instrument that the gods used to hypnotise the slaves with soothing sounds and rhythms.

2 Likes

Early Stihl marketing campaign?

1 Like

The grift is strong with this one.

Yes, it is disturbing when novel stimuli or ideas threaten to disrupt one’s familiar pattern of thought.

In fact you now have academic confirmation of what you instinctively knew to be true. Amazing!

1 Like

‘HiFi and Your Brain’ would make an interesting comparative study.

G

What would you compare to what?

I was thinking in broad terms - the positive effects of music listening vs the often compulsive and neurosis induced gear tinkering.

G

I was thinking unpleasant stimuli more than novel

In my case, I’ve loved listening to music, dancing, concerts, playing the drums since the beginning.

But I also loved HiFi since my father bought one in the 70s.

They are twin tracks.

But, yes, it’s possible for anyone to tip over into listening to your system first, and the music then becomes a test track.

1 Like

Indeed. You can often see this in this forum, for example the 300 series listening experiences only thread had a big drift into exactly that a few days ago.

1 Like

Yes, we talk about that a lot on here for obvious reasons.

But when that becomes the main point of listening at home then the original purpose of music has changed.

1 Like

For those who are interested, there is a well-regarded book on the subject: “This is Your Brain on Music” by Daniel J. Levitin.

2 Likes

Ah! - the same man who wrote this excellent review of ‘The Dark Side of the Moon’. :full_moon_with_face:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.