Muso 2 any help/advice?

Hi guys all new here:)
Recently purchased a Naim muso2 and what a great sounding system! Wow.
Couple of things though.

1. apple airplay has a very hard time finding the muso when using airplay, but when using the Naim app/tidal/Spotify there are no problems.
    Could this be because of the internet (the router is not Ethernet connected) but used wireless WiFi.?

2. I love the clarity of the music and the details it brings out when listening to music, but I’ve tried turning it up 3/4 of full volume and would actually have expected more power output. It’s loud but not as loud as I’d expected… is this normal or would I have to have it checked out? Doesn’t seem like any hiss nor muddy sounding so I would assume the speakers are all ok.?

3. is it possible to hook up a subwoofer to the music 2? I don’t use it as a tv soundbar, just for listening to music but I’m really curious to know if it’s possible to fatten up the bass with a sub?

Best regards

I think you are expecting more than the Muso is designed to deliver.

Hi Neil.
Thanks for your answer. Yeah maybe…hmm, just remember it as havin more bottom end at the store, but could also be because of the room and size of course?
Here it sits in a quite large room with no carpets, and 4,5 meters to the ceiling,( rental only ) so will be moving to a smaller place soon, maybe it will react differently in the smaller room🤔

1 Like

Room size will affect max volume, there is simply more air to move. But regarding bass, experiment with placement, distance to wall, and the related Mu-so settings. Despite the smart DSP stuff, the Mu-so is still subject to physics like every other speaker. You may just have placed it in an unfortunate position with poor room interaction

1 Like

Thanks suedkiez,
I’ll try to experiment moving it around, also the room where the muso is placed, is part of another room with no doors in between, So maybe some of the sound and volume would be more noticeable if the room the muso was sitting in was all closed.
(Hope it makes sense)

Would smaller rooms make it sound bigger as less air can be moved or is it the opposite way?
Sorry for all the dumb questions😥

Best regards

There are no dumb questions and I’m also only sharing what I think I learned :slight_smile:

Generally, larger rooms are more difficult to “fill”. E.g., Monitor Audio recommended my GX200 speakers for up to 35 sqm rooms or so, and for larger rooms the larger GX300. Though the distance from listening spot to speakers matters as well. (And I moved after buying the speakers, and I am very happy with them in a 45 sqm room too, at my distance and not-very-high listening levels. They do start to sound a bit strained when I increase the volume, but the neighbors get strained too, so I generally don’t)

To put it in a different context, open air venues need more massive PAs than small clubs.

With regard to room acoustics, larger rooms are generally better as the run time differences between direct and reflected sound tend to be larger, which helps the brain filter the reflections. And bass resonances tend to be at lower frequencies where they tend to be less harmful (or below the speaker’s lowest frequency).

But missing bass can happen with any speaker in any normal room, even large ones. There is no way (unless the room is extremely large) to avoid standing waves in lower frequency areas, and the larger the room, the lower the affected frequencies. If you happen to sit in a spot where these frequencies are canceled out, or happened to place the speaker in such a spot, bass can disappear even with large speakers. In such a case, changing the placement helps, and sometimes a few centimeters can make a significant difference. There are many threads about speaker placement, with links to videos etc. There are some methods to calculate placements, but they typically work only in boxy rooms. More complex rooms make the calculations computationally very difficult and it tends to be better to just try - there are some helpful methods for this, too, but it is a good start to just play with the placements a bit. E.g. place the Mu-So in the place where you usually listen and let it play music (or test tones). Then slowly walk around the room - you will identify spots with an excess of bass or a lack of bass. You don’t want to place the Mu-so in a spot where this is extreme. (The relationship between speaker position and listening position is more or less reverseable, so it is easier to place the Mu-so where you usually sit and walk around, instead of sitting in the usual place and having someone carry the Mu-So around :slight_smile: )

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.