Muso 2nd Generation

I really liked my Muso before I chopped it in, tempted by this although I really dont have a use for it, they are nice ‘objects’ though and a far nicer industrial design than the Uniti series

Would certainly keep him fit - pushing the dust round and round that channel, with no end, and no carpet to sweep it under!

The cleaning mode which you select via the app just makes the device immune to any control from the volume control or the touch buttons sssociated with it. It’s in “other settings”.
Best
David

1 Like

Did I read correctly that the Muso is not repairable??

After all the brouhaha that preceded the big announcement on 08.05.2019, I have to say that I am disappointed. I no longer have a large amount of disposable income to spend on audio but I was interested. Members of this very forum speculated on the release of a 372, a Statement level streamer and even a cassette deck … and what did we get? A wireless speaker! Reference to consumer lifestyle has been made in this thread and I think Allan makes some good points in his post.

I do not seek to be critical of Naim Audio or their customers who wish to purchase the new component. The agenda has changed and lifestyle products proliferate in all areas of leisure. Gone are the days of relentless pursuit of ultimate sound quality. I don’t think it has to do with audio manufacturing companies changing their agenda. They are after all, commercial ventures and they have to design and make components that will sell if they are to survive.

So I close this post by acknowledging the people who were at the heart of the industry in the 1970s and 1980s. People of the calibre of Julian Vereker and Ivor Tiefenbrun are sadly lacking today. We have much to be grateful for to Julian and Ivor. It wasn’t so much that they raised the bar, they redefined the art. To paraphrase Donald Fagen … They were artists, pioneers. We’ve got to have some music on the new frontier.

And to anyone who purchases the Muso2 … Enjoy!

6 Likes

The original Muso cannot be repaired, my understanding depending on the age of the unit Naim discount the price of a new unit.

So enabling the owner to clean without affecting the setup. But as I said, still negative WAF for a lifestyle as opposed to hifi item. (I know because I have heard the reaction!)

Well, I guess I belong to the target market, Mu-So-crowd if you will, who couldn’t afford and has no particular interest in all the nice high-end hi-fi boxes Naim produces. (and our house is all Apple ecosystem and I spend quite a lot of money on Leica photographic equipment) Perhaps people with great hearing and listening abilities who own all kinds of hi-fi stuff will not find a Mu-So worth it, I respect that.

All I can say is I am not following Naim very closely at the moment so I was happily surprised when I got the email and I’m genuinely interested in this new product. My wife and I and also our friends who come to our house and hear the Mu-So we bought two years ago, we are all very much impressed with the better sound quality we - at least think - we can hear and I heard Sonos and Bluesound boxes, but to me they sound much less full or rich if you will, than our Mu-So.

I’m contemplating buying one for in the living room for beneath the TV now that it has HDMI. So I’m happy for Naim and if they can improve on the Mu-So, I think it’s going to be a fine product and I wish them lots of success with it.

14 Likes

Yes I will buy one. HDMI, Roon Ready, Chromecast are all I need for TV speaker. Waiting Naim to update Mu-So for a long time. Another candidate is KEF LSX if Naim did not announce Mu-So 2.

How does one go about finding out?

I have one of the ‘launch’ models so is a few years old now.

If its faulty take back to the retailer you purchased from, who will work with Naim on an offer i guess.

When I moved into streaming back in 2012, I was underwhelmed by the Muso but was impressed by the unitiqutes. But pricing the muso over £1000 seems to me a step too far, even given the value of Sterling. For me it’s a psychological step too far …

2 Likes

I know what you mean, but we have a Qb in our bedroom for a couple of years and my wife has never complained about the dust trap, so WAF is not a universal factor by any means.
Best

David

well there is more than “one way”.
Before I spend my hard cash for a Mu-so I will check the competition including a Naim atom !
But the muso-2 seems very very hard to resist for me at the moment.

1 Like

I’m sure they considered the pricing carefully, keeping it slightly expensive keeps the exclusivity factor and aims it more at those who would be likely to get sucked in to the ‘gateway drug’ scenario and go on to buy an Atom or Star for example

1 Like

I get that approach and sure Naim have some smart people at the top. I just hope that Huawei (or any one else) have not popped a backdoor into the system. Call me Machiavellian but I don’t trust a Chinese solution to cheaper electronics.

Yes fair enough.

It was purchased from John Lewis so tuag might be a challenge.

I love my Muso for what it is and the new one has the appropriate technological updates I’d expect. But I doubt I could justify spending that much money to upgrade to it. The only thing that makes me think twice is that the 2nd gen is Roon ready. Right now I have an end point + DAC connected to the analog in, in order to use Roon with it.

Any chance Naim will be able to update the 1st gen to be Roon Ready?

Posted yesterday that Naim are looking at an in-house mu-so repair service.

2 Likes

Realistically, none whatsoever. Probably best to just use Roon via Airplay.