Muso 2nd Generation

Its a very good sound in any way, you should demo, plus you can access streaming services such as Tidal and Spotify.

I actually use a Mu-so Qb in my master bedroom and that all the sound I will ever need in bedroom. It wakes me up with internet radio and when I want to listen to my music I just stream Tidal. Also allows multi room speaker connection with other compatible gear.

1 Like

Like all the new Naim streamers, the Muso 2 supports Roon natively, so you do not need to run Roon through Chromecast or AirPlay. Of course, you still need to run the Roon Core on another device.
It does gave iRadio, either through the Naim app or through Roon.

Anyone knows if the Mu-so Gen 2 analog input is pure analog or it goes through an ADC? Thanks.

The analogue input is digitised by the Muso, the same as it is with the Uniti players.

FWIW I raised this question here (and in the following posts) and there were some responses from the community:

Has anyone had a chance to compare the sound of the Muso 2 to the B&W Formation Wedge?

The only comparison I could find is on What Hifi.

I can’t make a comparison but I had the chance to listen to Muso 2 for about 30 minutes in a quiet room of an Apknite staff, playing my own music choices for much of it. Was really impressed. $1,600 is expensive, but they sounded comparable or better to other things I’ve heard in the price range. Dynamics, bass, and detail were what particularly struck me. They don’t have that typical compressed sound from all-in-one systems/soundbars.
The caveat is what you’d expect: narrow soundstage, but my seating position was like 12-15 feet away, so I’ll see what I think when I spend more time with them listening from closer. Good sense of height and depth though.

2 Likes

I never quite liked the Muso 1. It was very good for an all-in-one, but I couldn’t imagine myself listening to it for a long time. Then I heard the Muso 2nd gen and it’s a totally different story. Of course, it has the limitations of its form - lack of ultimate bass, stereo separation, etc - but for what it is, it’s remarkable. Music comes properly to life - foot-tapping, singing-along, type life. Without a doubt, it’s a piece of proper Naim kit. I absolutely loved it.

Reader, I bought one.

6 Likes

The Muso 2 ticks most of the boxes for a system in the family room and with the possibility to use it as a soundbar gives an added bonus. Most of the reports I have read have been extremely positive and I shall have to go and have a listen. I wonder if there will be any discounts on Black Friday?

1 Like

Is there a Deep sleep function?

When i switch iradio stations there is a scratch sound,can you fix that in next firmware?

Ok.
I’m onboard and in a quandary. I am not a an audiophile but can appreciate fine sounding music. Two years ago I purchased a muso qb for a listening room approximately 12x15 ft. I am in search of an upgrade and would like to stay in the family. I need a more full and immersive sound. The choice is muso 2 or uniti atom plus speakers. Perhaps SVS ultras.
Anyway, the price proposition is evident. The placement of speakers would be limited to about 4 feet apart. The real confusion for me is trying to understand a 450 watt output vs 40 watts per channel in sonic terms that I can understand. Any comments would be most helpful.
G

I have seen old ghetto blasters with a claimed output of 300 watts per channel.
I can assure you, that claim is at the very least, misleading…
My original Naim Naim 1, has a claimed output of only 15 watts per channel but outperformed by far some of the old Japanese amps rated at 100 watts plus that I’d used before.
However, Naim always used to be modest with their power claims and their measurements were what I’d call “real world” watts.
The Uniti Atom, whilst on paper may not be “as powerful” as the Muso, I can assure you it will certainly sound much better and more powerful and have no problem with speakers of a suitable size.
I use Kudos X3 speakers with my own Atom and it goes pretty loud and sounds great! (certainly much better than my Muso QB)

In many cases the Muso may be all you ever need, I’d check out the new full size Muso before you get sucked in to the vortex, it gets great reviews and undoubtedly will be a big step up from what you have, and yes, they go proper loud!

Ignore the Watt outputs completely. Very misleading.

Thank you for your responses.
Does any one have a direct comparison, atom to muso?
Sound, bass, volume, night and day?
Will make a decision soon and without actually listening.
Would love to avoid the return complication.
Many Thanks,
G

Provided you’re happy running cables to speakers I’d think the Atom would potentially beat the Muso hands down paired with a suitable pair of speakers. Ignore the watt ratings, they have always been deceptive when assessing hi-fi gear, just a simple figure for marketing.

By all accounts the new Muso is improved but if you want a fuller/more immersive sound having separate speakers is probably the only thing currently that’ll give you that.

The Atom can drive even fairly demanding speakers, and should give a far bigger sound that a Muso ever could, plus you ought to get a far better stereo soundstage.

Get some suggestions for suitable modern speakers and I think you’d find the Atom in a different league in terms of audio scale to a Muso.

They may sound quite different however, as the Muso will be designed to sound good within its one box limitations and ‘the whole’ will have been tweaked to provide a high quality sound but equally limited by the form factor. I’d not be surprised if superficially a Muso might even sound more detailed for casual listening, anyone compared?

I’ve not really listened to either old or new Muso in detail, but I have heard a Muso at a store, thought it very good but instantly outclassed in scale by Atoms or Novas hooked up to speakers in the same listening area (not a proper listening test of course but you get my drift).

1 Like

Here to eat quite a bit of crow. After saying earlier I wouldn’t be trading up from the original to Muso Gen 2, recently I did precisely that, and I’m extremely glad I did.

What sold me eventually were two things: the reviews which almost literally couldn’t be any better, and the ability to pair the unit with my NDX2 via Roon natively without invoking AirPlay.

Happy am I to report that the new Muso is quite musical, has the PRAT of a genuine Naim product, is a pleasure to listen to, and thus is everything the original should have been but sadly was not.

Now please pass the sauce, this crow tastes bloody awful.

2 Likes

Just a quick word on value: in the old forum I opined that at $1299 the original Muso was extremely overpriced, that at $999 it could be considered a decent value, but it would have to get down to $599 to be a bargain (which is where new Gen 1s are at currently if you can find one). I paid close to list for the Gen 2 model and don’t regret a single penny. In fact it could have gone for as much as $1899 (glad it didn’t) and I’d still consider it fine value for money, it sounds that good.

3 Likes

Due to an impending house move, I found myself having to downsize my set up.
so this week I waved goodbye to My Superuniti and PMC twenty 24’s and waved Hello to a Muso 2.
I am very pleased, it has exceeded expectations and for a small box, there is a relatively large soundstage.

The main disappointments are the remote control, which looks like it has come from a Christmas cracker and the Quick Start Guide - pretty useless. Luckily I already had the app and so was able to use that to set up.

2 Likes

I found myself in a similar downsizing operation and I ditched my hifi setup (Quad 909, 99 pre and 99 CDs with Dali Grand Coupe and lots of cables) in favor of a Muso2 and I’m well happy.

Great sound, nice definition, good rhythm, space between the notes (but little horizontal imaging as expected).

Money well spent in my situation.

4 Likes