Muso connecting

WTAF…
Someone who knows something, on a forum…
:joy::joy::joy:
You’re probably right about that. Think I’ll google it?!? Is it possibly to upgrade software? Or is it a hardware issue… :roll_eyes:

Thanks Mike.
You’re right about ‘no excuse’ especially with all the Advertising Spin… But, super useful to know… :+1:

@ChrisSU

I have a Logitech Squeezebox Radio from 2009 that has zero problems staying connected to my WiFi network. I probably paid about $150 for it back then. I don’t understand why Naim has problems implementing WiFi in 2020.

1 Like

To be fair, it’s not the current models that are the issue. WiFi was a weak spot in all the 1st generation streamers, though, not just the Musos.

Well, I’m streaming what I think is High Res (FLAC 88.2 kHz 2739kb/s) wireless to a MUSO Mk1, with no problems at all. :grinning:

The router indicates it will do 51.52 Mbps to the MUSO. :grinning: :grinning:

But, as noted above, not the point. When advertised as a good wi-fi option, it should be just that.

2 Likes

Just wired my star due to wifi issues…

Agree. Quite irritating isn’t it. These were marketed as wireless devices…

2 Likes

I also think wired is the way to go, but I have a muso Qb first generation that is connected by wifi and it always is there in the Naim app, and connects instantly when I turn it on. The router is 20 metres away. It’s because it works so well on WiFi that I never got round to hiding a wire back to a network switch.

Best

David

It’s not just Naim, I use a NAD C388 with bluos 2i module in a second system and would it work wirelessly not a chance, an Apple TV next to it can stream 4K film no trouble but the bluos no chance. As soon as I wired it up no problems at all works like a dream.

Same problem here with gen 1 Muso and gen 1 unitiqute. They can go for days without an issue then just drop out. Same with the app, works fine for extended periods then can’t find the Muso.

I tried the optional bigger antenna on the qute but it made no difference. Then I connected a wireless router (airport express) in extension mode to the qute and it works fine for all except high resolution files, which consume the buffer then drop out. I haven’t tried it on the Muso but it might be an option and something like an airport express is easy to hide without trailing wires to your main router.

David, That’s great news that your QB works perfectly on WiFi.

I did persevere for a bit with the WiFi option in my previous house and also where I live now.
I just got fed up with intermittent drop outs. My router sits on top of my Muso so it’s a very short unobtrusive wire.
I was annoyed at the poor WiFi performance but as the Muso was a Christmas present from my missus some years ago I didn’t want to make much fuss.
Anyhow now I have no problems and it does sound good for casual listening.

Prem.

My Mk1 Muso works fine on wireless, never misses a beat. It didn’t have any issues when it was in the other room wired directly to the router. But…

I occasionally use it as a portable radio and take it to another house, and found there that it was almost useless both wired and on wifi - it struggles to connect and to stay connected, on wired or wifi. And then I bring it home, the wifi connects and all is fine again. I have no idea why, my stab in the dark guess would be that once it’s been configured or has been connected to a source it doesn’t lose all of the config detail from that original connection when it connects to a new source, and there’s a clash.

Not much use I know, other than knowing that this particular permutation of events is what causes mine to go pear shaped and there may be a correlation with other’s issues.

I now think I know the problem…
Today ALL 3 devices connect instantly. Each taking over from the other without fault. All through the hub.

Difference, my son isn’t online. Yesterday he was gaming and YouTube videos at the same time.
My devices failed on every attempt.
But Bluetooth worked…

So, when there’s a lot of data going through my hub (standard from sky) it just ignores/ can’t handle routing data that doesn’t come or go from outside.
Remember it’s dealing with TWO separate devices for a single link…

Many THANKS for all the advice. :+1::muscle::+1:

So, can anyone recommend an inexpensive hub that handles higher data volumes/connections?!?

UPDATE, FO ANYONE WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED…

I now think I know the problem…
Today ALL 3 devices connect instantly. Each taking over from the other without fault. All through the hub.

Difference, my son isn’t online. Yesterday he was gaming and YouTube videos at the same time.
My devices failed on every attempt.
But Bluetooth worked…

So, when there’s a lot of data going through my hub (standard from sky) it just ignores/ can’t handle routing data that doesn’t come or go from outside.
Remember it’s dealing with TWO separate devices for a single link…

Many THANKS for all the advice. :+1::muscle::+1:

So, can anyone recommend an inexpensive hub that handles higher data volumes/connections?!?

Absolutely…

I don’t know whether it’s a poor wireless chipset, poor aerial or both on the 1st gen devices, but if hardwiring is not an easy option I’ve achieved good results by plugging in a wireless client device into the ethernet port.

Thanks. It’s certainly worth thinking about
I just don’t like wires trailing…

How big are these ‘wireless client’s’ Is there a particular brand/model you’d recommend. Or are they pretty much all alike.

Personally I use a GL-MT300N v2 (actually a mini travel router) which needs a bit of configuring via a PC/Mac/tablet/smart phone to enable network extender or WDS mode (not too difficult, there is a good online manual). In theory you could even power it from the MuSo USB port but this particular device draws such little current that the port soon ignores it and shuts down. There are more “plug and play” wireless ethernet bridge devices available which need less configuring. I found this cheap one on Amazon as an example -

Other brands are available.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. And many more thanks for the link. I now know exactly what type of device you’re talking about…:+1::muscle::+1: