MUSO QB should I get one?

If this is a QB mark 2, have you tried the “in a corner” setting? That does apply some bass reduction. Or if it’s a QB mark 1 like mine, the “close to a wall” setting which also reigns in the bass a little, but not as much. Run in also a factor. My QB1 which placed in the corner sounded very bassy for weeks, but after some tweaking (a solid base to stand on, rotating it, and raising it a bit) it sounds pretty damn good. But yes, I would not use it to hook it up to a TV and then watch talkshows all the time, it’s a bit rich/warm in reproducing voice only.

Bought my son and partner the original QB for a house gift, when they bought their new home ……. in Salisbury - thought that was appropriate! !
First time I heard it I was extremely impressed - for the size superb sounding box.

1 Like

I love my Muso’s. We have all Gen 1, and keep it very basic for radio and connecting Alexa via Bluetooth. I did say basic right!!
The Muso in the kitchen is always on 7 days a week. On Saturdays when I become “chef” I like to turn it up and it always makes me smile with the quality coming from it, and also the louder it goes it never starts shouting or screaming…that’s coming from me when I’m holding a glass of wine!! We have a Gen 1 in the study and I love to go in there on a Sunday morning with gentle music and coffee, nice! We also have one in the playroom for the “wee ones”, and they love to connect their devices and play Spotify also at loud volumes. Even at loud levels the quantity does not suffer.

Suffice to say all happy this end.

4 Likes

The Qb is not a mono speaker per se - only the bass driver is summed from both channels, a bit like a single sub.

Regards
Neil.

4 Likes

Thanks for correction, Neil - I clearly missed that somewhere.

1 Like

A picture sometimes explains best;

You can see the tweeter and mid/bass drivers for left and right channels are angled slightly to try to give the best spread of sound.

Slightly suggestive of a spiders eyes, best left covered up I’d say.

3 Likes

I presume Naim’s reluctance to produce a printed manual for the streaming products relates to their updatable firmware. It’s easy to change the instructions if they’re on the website to reflect the updates, not so if there’s a load of hard copies out there going out of date every few months.

1 Like

I don’t think so. There are plenty of errors and omissions on the various product support pages which don’t get corrected or updated. In theory, yes, it’s easier, although editing a .pdf document is also simple, but it doesn’t happen in practice. Also the browse and search are rubbish and don’t make it easy to find what you need.

1 Like

Naim’s website and the support pages there are the worst aspects of Naim by far. For a premium brand, they really let the side down. I think I recall reading that the website is due for an update/revamp and hopefully it will be significantly better when it is. Fortunately, the products make up for the website deficiencies.

3 Likes

The Muso is great.

As regards issues & support there’s no need to assume only the manufacturer has the answer - there are enough of everything Naim has ever made for someone to have ran into the same problem and posted an answer or even a video online. Google is a good way of resolving actual i.e. real-world issues, alongside relying on the manufacturer telling us what should happen. Mix n match.

1 Like

They said so in some forum posts and it does make sense insofar as print manuals do get outdated. Just a few months ago I was tearing my hair out due to what turned out to be a printing error in an older version of the SuperLine manual.

In my job we also did away with downloadable PDFs because people kept them and were continually annoying our support with questions based on manuals that were several years out of date.

Of course you are correct that is all moot if the web pages are outdated and full of errors anyway :slight_smile:

@pbode mine is the mark two and the position adjustments do make a real difference. My point was essentially the existence of those adjustments is not very prominent and they are more useful, IMHO, than the synchronisation with other equipment feature that has higher prominence in marketing.

You’re right, the location does make a difference but I was not expecting this for a small player like this. My focus for some months has been room treatment for my main system although I am currently using Roon DSP to tame a 37Hz mode. So that SQ being “all about the room” applies to secondary installations too is what I have learned.

You’re right, the location does make a difference but I was not expecting this for a small player like this. My focus for some months has been room treatment for my main system although I am currently using Roon DSP to tame a 37Hz mode. So that SQ being “all about the room” applies to secondary installations too is what I have learned. I just wish the industry was a bit more honest about this at the point of retail.

@SomersetSandy you make a good point and I will look at that. It would however be helpful if manufacturers could do more to draw new purchasers’ attention to such things. And a quick start guide might tell you that you don’t need your Wi-Fi password to make it work which is not something I have encountered with any gadget before

There is some inconsistency at Naim. So quite a bit of glossy paper comes with the QB, but has little really useful information. The tomb that came with my amp is grandly called a reference manual and is printed on expensive paper, but of course in languages I do not read.
The main reason I posted initially is in the hope that there is somebody taking customer feedback on board and updating online instructions in the light thereof.

Normally, the included paper manuals that come with the amps should, of course, include the language of the territory where the amp was originally sold. In any case, on the product web pages for each amp you can find a PDF for the respective manuals and the comprehensive amp connection guide in all languages, it’s at the bottom of the pages within the Manuals section

Regarding the Units and Mu-so, every possible complaint about the quick start guides has been made :slight_smile: But to be fair, they do include a link to the online documentation, and the point about outdated print documentation is not without merit

Love my Qb in the kitchen!

1 Like

We have had our QB since the original came out. Love it as a kitchen system. Worth getting the placement right. To me it sounds as good as the full fat Musu, which is very good.
I never try to compare with the main Maim system, what’s the point

1 Like