My 252 has lost a channel (300DR is fine) :(

Maybe Naim are saying nothing is wrong with it and then they fix it without saying anything!

When I have changed out my Naim system components and have got everything set up I have had a fair few problems. Sometimes by unplugging all the leads and then plugging them back in has solved the problem. Also turning on and off. Swapping leads out and refitting.

When it goes wrong it becomes heartbreaking as these systems are often our pride and joy.

You want it all to work, but it doesn’t. and then suddenly it all seems to work again.

Very odd. With so many cables on my system it doesn’t surprise me. Had this problem when I had 2 hicaps. Lost a channel. Everything was connected according to manuals. Then I decided to tinker and swapped the cable into a different port on the back of the hicap and it worked. It looks like ports had been reversed at some point, but never got to the bottom of it.

I sympathise. But these things can be sorted out. I fully appreciate the situation. It would piss me off big time. It becomes very stressful when all your hard earned cash doesn’t work. Sending my best.

1 Like

Relay its always this now

1 Like

Hi guys, I would concur that it sounds like one of the main output relays has failed.
The tape outputs have their own relays, so I would expect them to be still working ok.

Regards
Neil.

6 Likes

Thanks @NeilS and others with their suggestions.

I am about to just rebuild both Fraim setups and see if that helps. I assume it won’t and will then pack up my 252 for the dealer to get to Focal-Naim NA for service. :frowning:

I will have to get accustomed the the lethagic reponse of my Atom trying to drive my speakers. I might just bring up a pair of my older Dynaudio Audience from the HT system. The Atom will cope with those better.

OK. It has to go back. A complete system Fraim rebuild provides no love today. :face_with_head_bandage:

Atom it is for now. Sad, since listening to my classic system is a favorite winter sport (in addition to cycling), and winter is nigh.

You experience really drives me leave Naim. I have seen at least 3 fault cases of 252

You could use the pre out from the atom to drive your nap 300

1 Like

I would need to have a custom cable made, and it’s probably more trouble than worth.

I’ll probably just use a a pair of speakers that will work better with the Atom. It’s normally used in my home office, but the speakers for that (Dynaudio Audience Special 52) are bolted to the wall. I can use a pair of Audience 62 from my HT system. The 300 won’t be necessary while I wait for repair.

I’m frustrated and diassappointed as well, but it happens. I’ve had Naim on and off since my first CB system in the 80s, and for the most part Naim has been pretty reliable. I once had a NAP 140 that needed service, and a power board failed on a ND5XS, but that’s it. My experience with Arcam – OTOH – was just horrible in terms of reliability. I could leave the barnd, but it would be costly and I’d be left with something that might also develop a problem. No brand is immune to developing faults on ocassion.

1 Like

Wow!

I’m in the U.S. where getting a custom Naim cable like that made isn’t something that’s readily available, espcially in area without a full-range Naim dealer. I would probably have to find someone in the UK to make it up and ship to me. Like I said, more trouble than worth.

Edit: I actually found a pair of RCA to XLR cables on Amazon, but the pinouts aren’t compatable.

Amazon RCA-XLR cables

Naim 300/500 XLR pinouts

Use the Amazon cable and re-solder a few wires at the xlr end, its a ten minute job.
Electrical soldering is a really useful skill, especially when repairing damaged cables.

2 Likes

Audio Sensibility in Canada should be able to make some for you. They have great service and sent me custom cables in New Zealand.

1 Like

Personally I would stay with the atom and speakers system, waiting the 252 return. Then, when it returns from service, I will have a big smile on my face and realise even more how good my system is.

2 Likes

I learned this, many years ago, on Scalextric cars. Has proved useful on very many occasions, including modifying audio leads I have bought, to suit Naim units. Or updating existing leads (eg. fitting PREH DIN’s, in place of the earlier locking type).

But - I have never had to ‘repair’ one… :thinking:

I’m just going to use things as is for now. I may just move the Atom back into the office and use that and the Mu-so to stream Roon. I can’t play records anyway, which is what I use the main system for most of the time.

1 Like

Out of curiosity and for future reference I looked at their website. It looks to me that their cables are too pricey for a temporary solution I don’t really need (or even desire). But thanks for pointing it out.

1 Like

Sounds like a good time to relocate everything to your other, bigger room…or did you shelf that idea?

That’s still on the table, but a rather big project for us. I’m waiting to start on that until after I retire from full-time work at the end of March. There are also some logistics to figure out still with siting equipment (the previous plan didn’t work for the turntable).

2 Likes

My dealer has the 252 and is sending it to Focal-Naim NA. They told me to expect repair time for at least two months.