My first ever Stacking Order question

I have Rossini + clock + 282 + HiCap + 300 + 300 ps unfortunately my rack is freakishly tall and I’m concerned about the center of gravity give Rossini is pretty heavy.

Since it’s a single stack, does it matter if the power supplies are at the bottom vs above the pre/power boxes? Was thinking about :

300 ps
HiCap
Rossini
Clock

Now I have:

Bartok
HiCap
300ps

Putting the Rossini in the middle should lower the center of gravity and make it feel more stable.

Why are the source and pre typical on the top shelves?

Partly it’s due to easy access and partly to separate power supplies from sources and preamps.

With restrictions your current set up looks about right but if you wanted to try a change I would suggest

Bartok
Hicap
300ps

When you fancy an upgrade try two racks. You are probably already aware that changing the Hicap for a Supercap will be a good step up but it then wouldn’t cost much more to move from a 282 to 252.

I’ll leave it to someone else to point out a preowned 552 is also not much more than a 252/Supercap.

You have a great source and a better preamp would be very worthwhile. Probably just my opinion, and one you’ve not asked for, but try for yourself if you can demo.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.