My First Experience of Record Store Day

Mike,
It is clear that our record shop expectations are vastly different and perhaps we should just agree to disagree on Piccadilly Records.

Other records shops I have been to recently include, Rough Trade East & Sounds of the Universe (London), Underground Solushn (Edinburgh), SK1 Records (Stockport) and Tasty Records (Altrincham). None of which seemed vastly different to PR with the possible exception of Rough Trade which is by far the largest so had probably a wider variety than any of the others. Both Rough Trade and SK1 have instore coffee shops.
Where do you suggest I go to see how it is done elsewhere?

Mike

I’m a big fan of Rough Trade for starters. Lovely staff. Good selection of music and great stock. I’m unaware of your Stockport and Alty shops so I’ll go check them out.

The Alty shop is on Regent Road, their stock is mostly second hand but from my brief visit appeared to cover a wide variety.
SK1 Records is only a small shop on Underbank close to where Winters the Jewelers used to be many years ago, they carry a mix of new and used vinyl and a few CD’s. Their new stock seemed to be mostly the sort of thing that Boomkat stock, thats is good for me as most of what I buy comes from Boomkat anyway, but may not be to your liking. They are not open every day and from experience possibly subject to change at short notice.
Neither shop has a proper website as such, twitter &/or facebook only.

I like Rough Trade too but it’s a long way to go just for a few records.

Mike

1 Like

RSD is not the saviour of the vinyl market because some folk are ripped off with the nonsense prices - but like any purchase you have to be truly selective. There are genuine collectors bargains if you look for them.

So this year finally got a remastered vinyl of Trout Mask Replica for £33 which I thought was excellent value given its second hand rarity. If RSD just keeps people going to record shops - even without buying - then its worthwhile as they will probably return.

Just bought the Zappa lp off Amazon - thanks for the tip.

If you are referring to Trout Mask, that’s a Captain Beefheart album. Zappa, except for a couple of speaking parts on a couple of tracks, only produce it

That would have been this “frank zappa
the guitar world according to frank zappa (rsd19)
ume
record store day 2019 - 180g clear lp, numbered”
first time on vinyl and mastered by chris bellman at bernie grundman mastering. this rsd edition is numbered and pressed on 180g clear audiophile vinyl by furnace, mfg.

1 Like

Personally I enjoy rsd each year. There is usually something interesting, out of print resurrected to vinyl for our enjoyment, and that’s a good thing. What I don’t enjoy is the actual buying. My “local” shop in Wimborne seems to have a regular customer who (forgive the pun) beats his own record each year by queuing earlier and earlier. This year he started queueing at 11am the day before! Now fair play he is clearly a vinyl fan. But for those of us with jobs (me keeping Naim ticking along on a Friday rather than hanging around outside a record shop) and kids etc the earliest opportunity I had was after 2pm and the stuff I wanted was long gone. I did get a couple of things online at Friday midnight though (ie 20 hours ago); that’s when my personal record store Day starts, only 7 days late! Still looking for the “lost in translation” soundtrack though.

Correct :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.