My first LP I bought

The first LP I ever bought with my own money (as opposed to a birthday or Xmas present) was this, back in September 1976, when I was 13. This isn’t the original copy, this was one purchased in around 1984, to replace the original, which got nicked when I was a student.

6 Likes

The first album I bought with my own money that I had earned was The Wall by Pink Floyd in the summer of 1980. It was recently cleaned on my Project VCS RCM and still going strong.

5 Likes

My very first album was the soundtrack of a western from Sergio Leone. Before that, I bought only singles and EP’s from Blues Boom Groups and French Ye-Ye’s like … Johnny Hallyday. I was only 12 years. I don’t listen to Johnny Hallyday anymore for a long long time, but I always enjoy to listen to this LP from MORRICONE.

https://www.dedicaceamesoreilles.com/bo-pour-une-poignee-de-dollars

J-luc

2 Likes

Thanks again to all contributors. Very good stories and backgrounds!

I remember exactly the Harvest label or the psychedelic time. That was the time when I discovered Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd. A short time later I found Pentangle (original from '68) and I still play this record today and a lot of emotions are playing along.

Music systems didnt play a big role in his time. It was the music that drew you in. We had the simplest amplifier with some 6 or 8 speakers wired accordingly. And everyone lay down between two boxes and listened to music.

@Innocent_Bystander
Thank you very much, I can not describe it better. All of these groups are in my vinyl collection, some double (… you never know). Regarding Internet and streaming you speak to me from the soul.

I own most of the mentioned records and think, many have gone this way in the middle / end of the 60s / early 70s and maybe til the end of the 70s through the enormous finding phase of new music.

Keep on spinning …

My parents bought me a few albums, but the first I bought with my own money I’m PRETTY sure was:

The Who - Who Are You in 1979 from the original Virgin records at the Clocktower in Brighton.

1 Like

I’m not 100% certain but if not the first it would have been the second:

X-Ray Spex; Germ Free Adolescents
Bought from WH Smith in 1978 or 79. Still have it.

Some of the tracks were quite prescient about the environment.

3 Likes

The original Virgin Records in Queens Rd, Brighton where I bought my first LP
‘Who Are You’
77a0068255186b42671ad682723c1108

5 Likes

Whilst that may be the original Brighton store, THE original Virgin records was mail order only, at about the end of the 1960s, selling albums significantly cheaper than record shops (unlike the pricing policy of Virgin Megastores some years later). Then they opened their first shop in Oxford St: quite small, upstairs above, IIRC, a clothing store of some sort and they stocked a lot of bootleg albums! Not sure when it opened but I first stumbled across it one lunchtime in August 1971 when I had a summer holiday job working for a record company nearby, and many lunchtimes were spent there in those few weeks!

Edit: I Googled it out of interest, and it was above a shoe shop - and yes, reminded that was indeed the ‘clothing store’ I cited above, however the location given in the first article I read was incorrect, saying it was at the Marble Arch end of Oxford St., whereas in fact it was near to Tottenham Court Road, not far from the latterday Virgin Megastore location. Another article showed the address as 24 Oxford St., and that tallies with where it actually was.

I did mean the ‘original’ Brighton Virgin Records as there where several over the years at Western Rd and Churchill Square. I was two years old in 1971 so would have found it difficult to go to the original store that you detail above.
I thought RB was able to sell records on the cheap through his magazine because he ‘avoided’ paying tax on them but was eventually arrested and avoided prosecution by agreeing to pay a fine or some back taxes.

My first LP was Best of Cream. I hitch hiked into Norwich with the expectation of buying Disraeli Gears. Unfortunately Robin’s Records had sold out and instead I came away with Best of Cream instead. I still have it although no means to play it.

Steve2

1 Like

Beatles ‘‘red’’ album was the first. 1973.
I still have it but it is almost unplayable.

5 Likes

My first LP I bought when I was sixteen

5 Likes

Exact recollection fading with the mists of time, but I think that the first LP I bought with my own money was probably:

Followed very shortly thereafter by:

AHM

and

BOTW

6 Likes

Status Quo - Quo
Bought with my paper round money, still have it today

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.