My knob is underutilized

Thought that might get your attention.

I’m just wondering why my hifi is so ear-splittingly loud that the neighbours complain when the volume knob is at only 5% of it’s travel? This with NAP 180 and Shahinian Arcs and the same with any input. What’s the other 95% for? Just there for blowing up my speakers?

I’m dreading my drum and bass obsessed teenager getting hold of it.

This is top volume…

4 Likes

This seems very low, are the speakers very sensitive?

However, with digital sources most people seem to end up around 9 and this is a perennial topic with many threads about it, e.g.,

2 Likes

Blame Philips/Sony. This was where the decision to use 2V output came from rather than 1V or even lower that was more typical at the time.
The higher output would make CD sound better compared to LP or other sources.

I’m not sure if newer amps have different input sensitivity or not. Maybe 282 owners could advise?

2 Likes

I usually can’t get my knob up after 10 o’clock :flushed: on my 252. It’s a bit of Naim qwerkery - going for the volume pots with the best sound quality with the worst user interface.

7 Likes

Would moving the Arcs a bit further from the wall behind them give you a bit more freedom with the volume control?

And might it lead to easier neighbour relations too?

Could be to do with high pre amp gain.

I never use my knob. I just sit on the sofa and fiddle remotely.

Is it just me, or can I hear the ghost of Sid James?

5 Likes

I don’t know if it’s a bit lower, but in any case not essentially. It is just as much a perennial topic for 282 and 252, in part because the Alps pot is sometimes also a bit unbalanced at the lowest part of its range. The sensitivity was the most frequently mentioned thing in a thread about possible pre updates a few months ago, and there was a long discussion about in the 252 sound signature thread a short while ago. (Seems less of a topic for 552 because the pots are even more strictly selected, so unbalance is avoided)

You may have described the forum demographic.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Ever since I got the Atom HE, I am twisting my knob incessantly :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

As a Nova owner my knob glows white around the rim whenever I touch it

7 Likes

Bearing in mind the useful knowledge that amps can go all out for say 60 watts at 8 ohm, then 100 watts into 4 ohm, then 140 watts into 2 ohm at any given load - I like to think when at a lowish but listenable volume the amp has good available headroom. Pushed up higher and you could run out of headroom and leaving the music sounding congested.
Other than your knob - you need to take into account your balls.

4 Likes

Mine reacts when I even reach for it…

2 Likes

This thread may need to be ‘sensored’ :wink:

1 Like

Mine falls off if I pull on it too hard….

More helpfully to the OP my 202 never got out of the 8 o clock range with my old speakers (91db). Since switching to lower sensitivity speakers (88 db) it now sits at about 9 - 9.30 for digital sources and about 11 - 11.30 with the stageline.

1 Like

Truth is very soon all Naim products will be going “tantric”, just like the new Statement/UNITI lines. Enjoy playing with your knobs while you can.:sunglasses:

2 Likes

So is it true that naim knobs, when at their littlest tends to go to one side ?

2 Likes

If I get my ALPs anywhere near 8 . I can hear the neighbours shouting out “turn it down you knobhead”.

I think Richards going to be pull this thread on the grounds of immaturity pretty soon.

Take the matter in hand like the rest of us!

3 Likes

Does anyone have issues with their second knob?

1 Like