My Nova suddenly sounds not good

I agree and usually, my system sounds better late evenings or so I perceive. It could be due to the quality of the electricity at that time, or the outside being quieter or the mood. but this is different and will be almost a week now since the shift in sound.

2 Likes

Or other factors could…affect…your mood and perception…in the evenings…duuuude….

Ideally I think this is where you’d ask your dealer to check it over and maybe let you A/B yours against theirs. Appreciate that isn’t always possible.

1 Like

thanks, airedog… I remember you suggesting the Choras to me in another post. Happy for you that you are completely enjoying your system. However, cable is also very personal taste and for me, as much as I appreciate the naca5 for the price, there are cables that i like better with the speakers I have.

1 Like

Well…again, the Naim amps are finicky about cables as others can explain…all I know is mine overheated immediately and shut down with mismatched cables. I’d hope that is near worst match and case scenario, but it emphasizes with a Naim piece cables need to match the Amp.

It sucks because you are unhappy, and today is one of the most enjoyable days of my Nova ownership (after getting the Topping all sorted and settings…)

1 Like

@Klout10 - So am I. The physical construction affects the electrical characteristics. Albeit, perhaps not hugely.

With my Qb and or Atom it has taken several re-sets. Here’s a crazy suggestion I read (Was it here?) to unplug the Nova from the wall and disconnect the speakers. Leave it unplugged, I’ve never gone overnight or anything, 30 minutes ought to be fine. Then do a factory re-set. I’ve had to do it multiple times with I think the Atom. It came around eventually. I’ve had great luck with the Nova tho, I think I’ve done one re-set since June.

Here is another crazy suggestion. By any chance have you turned off the ”server mode” or turned on any power save options? Apparently some people claim those sort of things having an audible change in sound quality due the constant heat it causes to the set. So did Naim in their manual with Supernait and Nait 5i series: see picture😂 My Naim dealer surely made a mantra out of that. ”Never shut down any Naim product”.

thanks, Saalem… Yes, both features were turned on from the beginning. Power cutouts during nights are quite common here therefore I feel safer turning off the unit completely when going to sleep. But the unit stays on from early morning to until sleep time every day, so I don’t think it could be related to that.

[image]

My Nova has been reliable and trouble free. And today it weirded out. It wouldn’t connect bluetooth, it made a nasty noise on my speakers, and then when I did get it connected it was out of synch. Unplugging didn’t work. I did a hard re-set. When done there was an update available. Check to see today if you have an update. I updated and all is well again.

So…this update. Any comments? Sounds pretty spectacular to me.

Hi Richard, I’ve tried some new cables on my NAP 500. If there was a problem would the head get hot or the powrer supply? I tried Gutwire Chime Cube which sounded fantastic. To ensure there wouldn’t be a problem I asked the dealer to check with Gutwire (based in Canada) if he could get the tech spec, but they wouldn’t pass on the info. They did point him to a Naim dealer in Canada who have sold it to Naim customers, and they have said it works fine. I’m looking to by 6M lengths

Cheers Pete

1 Like

Hi Pete, hard to tell as I can’t see any specifications for this cable, so no idea of capacitance or inductance.

You’ll have to pardon me for being cheeky, and I stand to be corrected by others with a better memory than I, but in all the various iterations of the Naim forum over the years the “out of phase” suggesting comes up at least once in the longer troubleshooting threads.

I don’t recall anyone ever coming back and confirming that their speakers were indeed out of phase.

Not a criticism. It’s a valid suggestion if you’ve been faffing around with cables and an easy check but I often wonder why it would be at the forefront of responses when it’s actual occurrence seems negligible?

I can recall at least one occasion when it was reported back as being out of phase and I dare say there are others not reported. And, to be fair, it wasn’t at the forefront of my thoughts but just another possibility to throw into the mix for the OP to explore.

It’s such an easy thing to check as you say (assuming the cables have been correctly terminated!) and I have a suspicion that its occurrence may be more common than realised and people just haven’t spotted it and put up with substandard sound.

I had an interesting chat with a couple of dealers at a show - remember them - a few years back during a period my system had been playing up. They’d been following the associated thread on here with some amusement/bemusement at the sheer diversity of options offered. They made, I think, a valid point.

Yes, you should check whether things are out of phase as it’s an easy win, but… if they had to single out a manufacturer where that was least likely to be the case then it would be Naim.

Firstly, most systems have a dealer install.

Secondly, the complexity of cabling is very much not plug and play if you have pre, power and additional power supplies etc. The consumers who do that themselves were amongst the least likely to make an error with phase simply because they would be paying full attention from the off to every aspect.

Thirdly, both had experienced systems where the speakers were out of phase but in some spaces that occasionally offers advantages.

I must admit that during my End Of My Tether thread I checked the phase early doors and was 100% confident it was correct. However, having never heard out of phase speakers, I gave it a go. Fascinating. With some music, issues show up straight away. With others I honestly struggled to identify any detriment. It struck me as entirely credible that if your tastes were restricted to specific genres and volumes that it was e possible you might not realise that there was an issue but also that it might not matter.

2 Likes

In the 1.5 years I have been here, there was more than one instance where it was indeed the case.

And in one other case I clearly remember, a “sudden” SQ change and missing bass, although the OP had not changed anything, turned out to be not caused by an out-of-phase issue, but the speaker jumpers to the bass terminals had never been connected. Nevertheless, it was experienced as a sudden change.

Checking is cheap and a good idea just in case :slight_smile:

Given they are widely used, I think you can take the lack of comment on the Tellurium as a good thing.

1 Like

Good points.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.