My WIFI router died, are better ones worth it?

Simon, i don’t think it was set up quite like you say. You see that yellow Ethernet cable, it went into my Linksys wifi router, which has a port labelled Internet. Then from one of the four ports on the router labelled ethernet, i had a cable going to my laptop,and another ethernet cable coming from the router to my 2960 switch in the living room. From there (2960) i have cables going to my Core, NDS and TV.

Ahh ok, so that was just a modem? Can you enable as a router?
If not then I would suggest the USG router option I suggested a few posts back … into your current Cisco switch, and then connect a single Access Point such as the Unifi product. Simple and effective and works well with Naim… and ideal for your single bedroom apartment.
I have previously deployed a similar setup for a Naim system.

By all means try an ASUS/Netgear connected to your modem… it’s just I can’t personally recommend from my torturous experiences of mine and others with such devices with streaming and discovery… they might have improved over the last year however,

I think it is just a modem,and i have no clue how to enable it as a router. I will look up the USG, see if it is available here.

Hey Simon I have been following the thread from the beginning which I think you weren’t to start with mate. So I don’t need lessons from you thank you.

Sorry… I thought you were being rude and arrogant mate
Some of us were trying to help NQ rather than throw rocks…

I read the thread from the beginning unlike you. But actually my comment wasn’t aimed at you particularly.

Fair enough… but it did come across as a bit high handed… I’ll withdraw my comment.

1 Like

I really wasn’t aiming at your advice at all Simon.

1 Like

I like how both of you just worked this out. Cheers to the both of you.

1 Like

I agree, that got out of hand rather quickly,i don’t like seeing the 2 guys on this forum that have helped me the most over the years going at it. :smiley:

2 Likes

100% agree with you. @Simon-in-Suffolk and @davidhendon have helped me as well, both indirectly and directly.

2 Likes

I installed my Google mesh home wi-fi ‘system’ yesterday. It’s a 4 level townhouse; a very vertical geometry to the home. The base unit “router” (their language) on the top floor hard-wired to my switch, with one node one floor below that in my wife’s office, and a second node another floor down in our kitchen. The performance is outstanding – the full 100M our fibre provides throughout the home. And this is substantially better than what we were getting out of two Airport Extremes (one in extend-the-network mode).

2 Likes

Similarly I have just replaced my tp link wap plus asus router acting as a 2nd wap with a pair of ubiquiti uap ac lite units. They are both wired to the same switch, and work in combo with each other. You have to manually adjust them so they transmit on separate frequencies (1 and 11 for 2.4g plus 36 and 44 for 5g). The control you have over them is extensive but only really needs to be adjusted once. Not necessarily a good choice for someone non IT literate, but they do appear to be superb quality so far. I don’t need to keep flipping ssid in the house anymore!

1 Like

I have always found simons advice to be good except for his contention that isp supplies routers being anything other than total and utter cabbage.

Oh and the whole fifty quid switch nonsense :slight_smile:

:grin:
True I can’t speak for all ISPs… but the current BT offering is outstanding… and a cracking VDSL2 modem, of course it had to be designed well to support BT TV and multicast functionality… but I am sure they have huge buying power to get the costs down.
Certainly if on BT I absolutely would recommend it, and if on VDSL more than 200m from thei cab I say it would be effectively essential if not to have possible issues with performance banding. Speaking from very bitter experience.

The Google devices are totally plug and play; name the network, supply a password. That’s it.

I guess a small update is in order. I still have not bought a new router, the one day i intended to go shopping for one at best buy, the lineup outside was about 30 people long, so i continued driving. In the meantime, i have been tethering my phone to my i-pad, and using it that way.
Also with the stay at home order, i have been binge watching a few shows on TV. Yesterday i watched all 8 episodes of DEVS…mind blowing, and highly recommended.

1 Like

+1 for DEV(U)S

1 Like

Well you have just a modem there with an Ethernet output. I remember when that was the norm, but it is not anymore.

That Asus Router would be fine and I’m sure that fancy star wars shuttle looking Netgear would also work very well.

What you get with better devices is more capability, like guest networks isolated from your own and faster processing.

Either would be great additions.

1 Like

Apologies to the OP for joining this conversation but I hope it is relevant to him. My question to Simon and others is how to best connect a mesh system or additional router to get better wifi coverage in the home and to provide a separate hifi network. Is it ok to connect it straight into the existing modem/ router or should it be via a switch? Also is it ok to have 2 separate wifi networks - one from the original modem router and the other from the mesh system or should the router element of the modem router be turned off.

I have a Plusnet modem/router and until recently I had a Ubiquiti router plugged into it provide a dedicated wifi network for the hifi. This was originally installed by a Hifi dealer who Sold me an NDS and who is no longer operating. It generally worked well but I had problems controlling my NS and more recently with a Nova and had all the well reported problems of freezing displays, lack of iPad being able to control the Nova and constant re/booting needed. Last week, following a power cut my network went down and afterwards I was unable to get the Wifi back without help from Plusnet tech support. I have decoupled the Ubiquiti router for now and everything is rock steady with the Nova and it has never worked so well. I am thinking that perhaps running 2 separate wifi networks may have been part of the problem. I think I was blaming the Nova for issues that were linked to my wifi setup

I am still interested in having a dedicated hifi network and/or getting better wifi coverage throughout the house hence my question about connecting a separate router or mesh system. All suggestions and advice is appreciated

Bob