n-Serve; image retrieval & tagging

Unitiserve/n-serve was always like this and I doubt that Naim will want to invest to fix that now.

A work-around is to copy the files concerned into the US downloads folder and then sort it out with a metadata editor. You obviously would use n-serve to delete the original rip after you have copied it across.

As someone who gave up on their UnitiServe back in about 2015 . . . there will be no end to the self-flagellation for so long as you use it.

There are so many other options in 2023 for an in-home music server. IMHO there really aren’t too many worse choices than the UnitiServe if you want it to do things like grab metadata and album art from an online lookup, manage compilations, and other metadata-intensive tasks.

My best advice is to simplify what you use the uServe for. As already stated in the thread, copy rips you make over to a laptop, add/edit metadata and images yourself with something like dbPoweramp, and then copy the files back to the uServe into the Downloads folder. If you do this, it’ll work pretty well as a music server unless/until the hardware gives up.

Naim has abandoned the 1st gen digital devices and, sadly, is not supporting any future software/firmware updates (eg metadata databases, SMB protocols, etc).

I think that is wrong actually.

The specific issue of SMB1 version required by Unitiserve and HDX is not something Naim can do anything about as Microsoft never patched Windows XP to use SMB2 or 3 and Windows XP is long out of support by Microsoft now. You cannot expect Naim to rewrite a licensed Microsoft Operating System.

1 Like

I thought about that but I have a lot of compilations. Easier now to try and find them on Tidal.

I do not know N-Serve as this is an apple-free household, but did you ever try the Desktop Client? It makes editing relatively easy.

Thanks again for everyone’s input.

I think the best solution is, as suggested above, to rip my CDs using a separate process (I’ll probably use Rogue Amoeba’s Fission to tag the files, as this is what I use to edit other recordings), and to load these separately into the Unitiserve’s ‘downloads’ folder, with a backup held elsewhere. Given that this is a 7+ year old device, where most of the functionality still works fine, I’m OK with that. (In fact, I think the US/DAC V-1/NAP100 stack is a real bargain at current secondhand prices). Software isn’t generally supported for an indefinite period of time, and there might be more risk than benefit if changes were made to the n-Serve app now.

Having said that, I do think that there is a problem with some of the metadata databases (as mentioned in davidhendon’s post above), and it would be good to see if something can be fixed here.

Do yourself a favour and compare the rips before you do too many. I had my entire collection ripped with a PC, the rips of Unitiserve were so much better I did the whole excercise again.

@DJH Naim did find a problem with MusicBrainz metadata lookup and it is part fixed. They are still working on the issue. See the other thread I pointed you to.

Thank you David for following up on this. I did notice some improvement in the ripping capability, and wondered if something was being fixed in the background. Regrettably, my Untitiserve began to behave erratically and ended up not being able to boot up, so I am in the process of returning it to the seller for a refund. It did work well initially with the DAC V-1 & NAP100, and I’m thinking about what might replace it - perhaps a Mac mini/NAS/Roon approach might work, or perhaps another dedicated music server?

Well I’m sorry but I don’t really know about alternatives. Except that if you need help with a UnitiCore, then don’t hesitate to @ me.

your money is best spent on PC or servers from the likes of HP (microserver) If you dont mind getting your fingers a bit dirty. NAS’s are typically way under specced for the price.

I personally wouldn’t spend money on hifi company servers. But thats my personal opinion.

If you want something that works out of the box my choice would be an Innuos Zen Mini which is hugely more versatile than any Naim server. It’s a similar size to the Unitiserve so might be a good physical fit.
A headless Mac Mini, Intel Nuc or similar could be another good option if you are prepared to set things up yourself.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have pressed an old Mac mini into service which will be fine while I look at other options. It sounds OK (through USB into the DAC), but I do think that the Unitiserve was a better sound overall, so a secondhand Uniticore, or possibly the Innuos mentioned above might be worth exploring.

The Core may be a better sound quality option via SPDIF than the Unitiserve given its built in linear power supply. Just be sure that you are happy with the range of functions it offers, as it is by far the most limited of any server/storage device ever produced, at any price, even compared to the Unitiserve.
The Innuos by comparison has a big range of features that the Core lacks, such as internet radio, support for streaming services, Roon, USB out, etc. and it’s not much more than half the price. Whether it is any different in terms of sound quality over SPDIF I couldn’t say.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.