n-Sub remote not working

Yep it’s certainly a heavy beast. Very nice looking though. I managed 3 days before Mrs n noticed the new addition .

2 Likes

Wow you guys are wicked - the search is on! :rofl::sunglasses:

2 Likes

What I like about the remote is that you can set up different profiles and easily switch between them. I have a very subtle one which just gives a barely noticeable lift to the lower frequencies, which I use most, and a less subtle one with more gain and a higher crossover point which I use for less critical listening, a sort of party mode. Or you can just switch it off, of course.

2 Likes

And of you have a Flash remote with the last firmware you can also use that to adjust the n-Sub.

No use to me as I only have streamer remotes now, but useful to know for anyone with an N-Sub and no functioning remote.
(Even with no remote, all is not lost, as of course you can control it from the front panel buttons.)

I had nSats once, and only really liked them with a sub. Otherwise they were a bit thin, weedy and constricted. An nSub is one way to go, but getting small speakers than can really do bass is another way. All I’d say is that my little ProAcs are just so much better than nSats, and probably cheaper than getting an nSub. Just a thought.

1 Like

I love the sound of the n-Sats and don’t find them thin or weedy at all. In fact they have been a revelation. They blow the Neat’s out of the water in terms of engagement. I have no intention of changing anytime soon. I could quite happily live without a SUB as they are but curiosity is getting the better of me, thanks to Chris, from another thread. so…

P.S my partner has said that the n-Sats are easily the best sounding speakers i’ve had to date and i’m very much inclined to agree with her. Also the SN3 absolutely love ‘em! :rofl:

1 Like

I’m guessing that you have come around to thinking that your Neats were perhaps holding your system back somewhat. I was in a similar situation with my Kudos X2s, which have a great deal in common with your Neats. (Kudos designer Derek left Neat to set up his own company.) I kept them right up to 282/250 level, and much as I liked them, it was really their small size and unfussy nature that made me hang onto them for so long.
I did occasionally put my N-Sats in the main system instead of running them from my Atom in another room, and I was forced to admit that they were, in many respects, a much better speaker. Whether they are your ‘endgame’ speakers is another question altogether, but good that you have made a step in the right direction.

1 Like

Good luck!

1 Like

Yes pretty much spot on Chris. Even if i were to change speakers in the future, i doubt very much i’d let these n-Sats go… Their voicing is just terrific, especially with female vocals and acoustic music. Also i love the stands, it’s all just such a neat and wholesome package. Ok, they are not perfect in the bottom registers, but boy aren’t they are so much fun in all the other areas? My partner and i were sat here like Cheshire cats yesterday evening listening to some Dub Reggae! N-Sub here we come?! :joy:

Thank you Rack! :+1:t3:

1 Like

The nSub, if you can find one, makes a huge difference. It will obviously improve dub but what is really interesting is that it will bring an added dimension to music that on first glance contains no bass. For example, it made solo violin so much more enjoyable. Maybe it was adding the studio ambience, I don’t know. I certainly wouldn’t use Sats without one.

1 Like

That’s very handy information to know, thank you. Luckily my room here is quite small so is maybe helping the n-Sats to be a little more forgiving in their overall performance.

My source is quite muscular sounding, along with a capped SN3, so a n-SUB will just be that little more extra low filling in i feel. My Neat Motive SX2s were too much in the bass for me, or maybe the wrong type of bass? I have no experience with a SUB so your words feel very reassuring in that it may work and bring that extra dimension.

Being remote controlled is also a great bonus for me, being able to control things from the listening chair is very appealing indeed.

Yes, looking for a good example may prove a bit of a challenge, i haven’t see any of late in all the usual places. I’ll keep looking nevertheless, hopefully one will turn up soon, preferably a black lacquer one, which maybe even harder to find i suspect…

I think I’ve seen around 3 or 4 on average come for sale every year. Just keep your eyes peeled and be patient. If one comes up that matches your n-Sats finish then even better.

1 Like

Just as much for information as anything else but I find my Narcom controls all the remote options I need on my n-subs. Perhaps there are some options that I rarely use that it cannot control but I haven’t found the need to search for my n-sub remote in years.

I use my s-sub with SL2s, having actually bought it for n-sats I had in my TV room but they didn’t work with the suspended floor.
I couldn’t go back to my SL2s without the n-sat now. (And since I’ve got the HAF filters the integration is so organic I’d be very reticent to change anything speaker wise).

Is the n-sub one of the relatively unrecognised Naim classics?

.sjb

Hey Sloop.

Which version of the Narcom are you using and what functions of the n-Sub are you able to control with it?

I couldn’t find a way to control mine with one that came with the pre I bought 2 years ago which I’m guessing is the current one.

Cheers, Rack.

This effect that HH describes of a sub-woofer adding some ambience to music that doesn’t have obvious bass is well known actually. Many years ago I used a modified KEF-kube to extend the very low bass on some B&W speakers and I noticed it on any music I put on. I vaguely remember reading an AES paper that said this effect was due to unwanted phase shift being corrected by the sub.

If someone wants to play with a sub but can’t find an n-Sub, they might want to also look out for a Quad L-Sub. This unit made about 20 years ago has a remote (!) that controls the sub volume, but also the frequency at which it kicks in. Mine is set for 30 Hz. You can also invert the phase with the remote and switch the unit to standby. It has both low and high level stereo inputs. It’s big and heavy and has a fantastic piano lacquer finish. They appear on eBay occasionally and like all Quad units, don’t cost much.

Edit: The two Quad subs on eBay currently are the later Lite model. This is smaller than the L-Sub and I can’t speak for how it sounds.

2 Likes

Thanks David. As it stands i’m not in any real rush to be honest, if a n-Sub unexpectedly pops up then i’ll take a punt on it for sure.

I think i understand in what you and HH are saying with this ambience thing, makes perfectly good sense to me. I suppose this is where some decent floor-standers come in but without the frequency adjustments that come with a sub, which could prove even harder to get right in the long run for me here.

Luckily for me my room here is quite small and i think it’s rather playing into the n-Sat’s hands of trickery. The ceiling, floor and all walls are of solid brick and concrete. If i sit back quite close to the wall behind me then the baby Sats have a surprisingly good bass, even a little punchy as well. Much better controlled than my Motive SX2s ever were in this room. Most importantly for me though is the timing of these little fire crackers, they are unerringly persuasive, something that i’m rather hoping a sub wouldn’t destroy. I have read somewhere around these parts that they actually preferred the n-Sats without a sub. It’s a very fine-line here i have to say. More of a curiosity than anything…

1 Like

Narcom 4. The “sub” button (under 9) makes the remote control the n-sub.

.sjb

3 Likes

There is an n-sub on eBay at the moment with box.

The box is huge and wouldn’t fit in our retrofitted house’s attic so I’d say this is well worth looking at if anyone has interest in an n-sub.

Sheffield area according to add.

.sjb