N272 Power Supply Upgrade - XPS DR v 555 DR

Purely because it will give you a very nice uplift whilst you ponder the source options - and allow you to assess those options better than the 150. It’s a great piece of equipment - it’s where I stopped on the NAP front.

After much deliberation and a good night’s sleep I’ve opted for the XPS DR.

I have a feeling I’ll have a 555 at some point in the future, it sounds like an incredible upgrade. But it’s difficult for me to justify the cost right now.

Really looking forward to hear the XPS and I’ve also ordered some Witch Hat N2 speaker cable.

The bare 272 and 150X still sounds amazing to me so I may as well take my time on this journey.

Thanks for all the advice, it’s a huge help particularly to those like me who are new to Naim

7 Likes

Congrats on the acquisition. A Witch Hat Morgana interconnect is another option for squeezing a little more from the 272/XPS DR – when you’re ready of course!

FWIW, I also thought the 555 DR was ‘a bit too much’ with the 272, with the low-end sounding somewhat overblown in a demo with smallish speakers. However, that was during a hastily setup dealer demo, and others have reported much better results.

2 Likes

I run a 272/250 DR with XPS DR and am extremely happy with it. If your budget can stretch to a 555 it’s a no brainer but if it can’t I wouldn’t let some of the earlier posts worry you. The 272/250DR/XPS DR is a wonderful setup and providing you don’t read a lot of these threads will keep you happy for years.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reassuring words gents. Next upgrade will most likely be to swap in the 150X for a 250 DR, it sounds like a great partner for the 272.

Probably the most exciting upgrade of all will be the speakers, as while the old Monitor Audio BR2 speakers I’m using now are pleasant enough they are no doubt a big limiter. When it comes to speakers I want to be absolutely sure of the system’s permanent location and home demo a shortlist if possible. I’m hoping better speakers will blow me away, particularly if the 250DR is in place by then.

OK. So I’ve got an XPS DR arriving next week.

And a 2015 NAP 300 (non DR). Don’t ask!

The 300 was an impulse buy. It’s second hand and a very good price so if we don’t get on I can move it on. I had planned to wait and get a 250DR but hey ho, I’m very excited to see what the 300 can do…

4 Likes

272/XPS/300 will be great, well done.

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

Thanks Lindsay. Although the 300 was a bit impulsive I’ve spent hours and hours reading through old posts on this forum so I think it’s a pretty well informed decision. It’s a fair bit less that a new 250DR and looks to be in very good condition. Being 2015 I guess it was one of the last non DR’s so good for a few years yet before servicing.

That’s definitely it on the boxes side so now to the difficult bit, the speakers… These will have to wait until I can demo, no more rushed buys!

Can’t wait to hear it later this week along with the XPS.

2 Likes

Rigged up the XPS DR on the 272, still with the 150X, and WOW!

I’ll spare you all the cliches but suffice to say I’m a very happy listener right now.

Looking forward to see what else the NAP 300 will bring to the the party.

8 Likes

Go on give us the clichés!!

1 Like

The first word that came to mind was ‘frightening’, the room came alive!

And I thought it sounded great before…

I bet no one used that word before :laughing:

2 Likes

Interesting, I am considering adding a PSU at some point. Always been a dilemma as so many have posted that XPS only brings marginal improvements and don’t bother the 555 is the only one to go for. There seem a good number of contented 272/XPSdr owners on this thread.

I was in the same boat but a few happy 272/XPS owners posted on this thread and here’s another one. I’m still very curious to know what a 555 can do, but it should be good at twice the price. My own experience is that the XPS uplift is far from subtle.

2 Likes

Agree. I have no idea how one can say XPSDR is a marginal upgrade on the 272. One of the bigger uplifts of Naim equipment I’ve had FWIW.

2 Likes

I agree Slamdam, I just don’t get the negativity around the XPS

Slightly different upgrade for me , I added the XPS to my CD5XS and nDAC and it was a massive improvement I can advise

Of course the 555PS will be another leap but the XPS deserves praise

2 Likes

It’s only when you plug in the 555DR view points change.

It’s great to know there’s another very worthwhile upgrade to be had. We all have to draw the line somewhere and I’m drawing it at the XPS (for now ) but at some point I just know I’m going to have to try a 555…

2 Likes

The XPS has always been a very viable upgrade for the 272, and far from marginal. The thing is, the difference between 272/XPS and 272/555 is far greater than that between 272 and 272/XPS.

1 Like

Enjoy your XPS DR upgrade and don’t let the (500 Series) 555 DR deter that experience. I too upgraded my NDX 2 with XPS DR even after hearing what the 555 DR brings to the table, yes it’s better, but it’s no more enjoyable. Like some here i think it brings very substantial and worthwhile improvements over the standard source component, enough to easily justify it’s addition and position in a high end source component.

3 Likes

Ooh, I’d say it was very definitely more enjoyable. It turns the 272 into a different machine. What is the definition of better if it’s not more enjoyable?

There is always something better, but we don’t have to have it and should be happy with what we’ve got. The 272 is a superb product, regardless of what it’s powered by. Forget what’s better and enjoy what you’re fortunate to have.

2 Likes