NAC 202 to replace NAC 152XS

The 282 is a lovely preamp, and much better than the 202. My only concern about the 282/155 combo is that the preamp power supply in a 155 won’t get anything like the potential out of the 282. It really does need a Hicap, or second best a 200DR. If I couldn’t accommodate either of these, I wouldn’t bother with the 282, or indeed a 202.

You’ll have read the ‘separate preamps and power amps are better because separation is in the Naim DNA’ comments but once people put their preconceptions behind them they may actually find that the Supernait is better than some of the pre/power combinations. I’ve used Naim pre and power amps for years, from 1983 to 2000, when I bought a Supernait 3 and am delighted with it.

The separate pre/power route does of course offer more flexibility for future upgrades. Upgrading of course is not essential, and the flexibility really doesn’t matter if you just want to buy something and use it for years.

HH have you ever heard the 282/155? The reason I ask is that because when I started out on the Naim road I I had a 202 /200 and was never quite content

I went back to my dealer and he demonstrated a 282/155 into Dyna Contours 1.3s. I was very surprised at how good the combo was. As I had the 200 already I ended up with a 282/200 but I could have lived very happily with the 282/155.

I confess that I am extrapolating from my experience with a 202/200. It never sounded right without both Hicap and Napsc. If we assume that the supply in the 155 is no better than that in the 200, and take as read that the 282 is better than the 202, you’d think that the limitations of the 155 supply would be even more apparent when powering a 282, something it was never designed to do. But of course, assumptions are only assumptions and not always wise, and there may be some incredible synergy in the 282/155 combination. Somehow, though, I doubt it. Of course, it would be fine to get someone going with a 282 but it’s not something I’d entertain as a long term solution. The 282 really wants a Hicap DR and 250 to make a nicely balanced combination.

Why not go by steps? 282/ naps/ 155 first. Later an Hicap. Then Xpsdr on Ndx. 200 or 250 dr. And finally Ndx2.

I think that is a very good approach and plan.

The 155 is really rather good. I’ve heard one on on the end of a 252/Supercap and it really made excellent music so there’s no reason why a 282 wouldn’t be good either.

I do agree with others that a HiCap should be a priority if this route was taken. If that’s not possible (or even if it is) then a Supernait is a very attractive alternative.

I would take the NAC282 even if compromised with the NAP155XS. This is because it’s all about the pre in my NaimWorld.

Hopefully Graham can hear one with his NAP155XS and form his own opinion.

3 Likes

I’ve removed some posts. Please don’t post “rumours” on here. Rarely are they correct, and then all they do is confuse or mislead people. Thanks.

Sell both to fund the SN and plan your next move from there. The 202/200 though separates leave a lot to be desired and many find the SN a better choice.

What happened next @GrahaMP ?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.