Nac 252

I have just spent the last few weeks with a 252 on home demo, i have been comparing it with my much loved 282, i would conclude that without question the 252 is better in all areas.
Is it worth the extra outlay financially, for me absolutely.
The 300dr, 252, Supercapdr is a terrific combination.

9 Likes

I have had a 252 from my dealer on home demo too. I also have a 282 so was keen to hear what the 252 can do. I initially set it up myself and didnā€™t realise the 252 needs a proper set up to sound at its best. My dealer came round at the weekend and ensured the 252 was set up correctly. We moved the rack out a bit further from the wall to give more space to the cabling, with the Snaic touching the Burndy from the SCDR. I noticed a big improvement over the 282. The 252 just sounds so much more refined. My NDX2 has never sounded so good. I will definitely be upgrading to the 252.

3 Likes

NigelB and chaps. No doubt I could pick up a used 252 at some point but I would still be looking at a 552 and financially Iā€™m not in that place. So Iā€™ll just stick with the 282. What is coming of the system is way way better than I ever dreamed it would be

2 Likes

Be sure to have a good long home demo of the 252 before you commit. I tried it at home twice against my then 282/SC and preferred the 282 both times. Itā€™s not just a qualitative thing: they present music differently. To my ears the 252 was more refined and detailed but also laid back. The 282 was a bit cruder but ā€˜boyā€™ itā€™s exciting. Unsurprisingly, some love the 282, some the 252.

2 Likes

Save your money, Lindsay, and just enjoy your 282 unless and until you feel flush enough to try a 552.
M

4 Likes

I actually enjoy both my 282 and 252.
If I were to ā€˜do it againā€™ knowing what I know now, Iā€™d go for 552 straight awayā€¦ But since that is not going to happen, Iā€™m happy with both of those pre-amps :star_struck:

Iā€™m enjoying the 252/300 combination (much less ā€˜bombasticā€™ than other naim combinations which Iā€™ve owned) which works better in my room which can be prone to bass resonance (although IsoAcoustics feet have improved things significantly). Personally if I did change Iā€™d be tempted to skip the 552 and go straight to the S1 which I understand is much better all roundā€¦

5 Likes

I have used a 252/300 since 2004 and have no intention of changing it. Serviced last year it continues to show a wonderful insight into my music. I think it compliments my SBLs brilliantly. I moved from an 82 which I could easily live with too. 552 is too rich for me especially now I am retired but no doubt I would love that tooā€¦

Nice problem to have as tends to be the case with Naim.

Stu

Hello Stuart,
Did you notice a big difference with the 252 service as i have just sent my 2007 in?
Regards.

Not a massive difference to be honest. However, the volume pot had become really noisy and this was replaced as part of the service. Really excellent service from Naim. My gut feeling is the pre could have waited up to 20 years before a service.

I understand that having the PS serviced and DRed does make a bigger SQ improvement though.

Stu

My experience of the 252 is that the improved SQ places heavy demands on setup (racks and cable dressing). If cables touch the SQ drops off dramatically. So I would recommend having space behind even if you use pipe insulation.

Is the same true of the 552?

Phil

1 Like

ā€˜Iā€™ve already spent a bloody fortune, so I might as well spend a whole load moreā€™ might be a good motto for this forum :thinking:

4 Likes

That is one way of looking at it which of course totally ignores the SQ reasons for upgrading.

With that logic you could also say ā€˜I am going to spend a bloody fortune on HiFi and get myself a Classic Naim system with some nice Kudos speakersā€™.:thinking:

We (some of us) DO get somewhat desensitized to the outlay of funds. But on the other hand (OTOH), I at least donā€™t get desensitized to the enjoyment of fantastic music at home.

Bart - will you add the SL DIN to XLR to complete your ā€œFull Loomā€ or are you happy to leave the DIN to XLR between the SCDR and 300 head unit as stock?

Iā€™d have to get a pretty sweet deal; happy to stick with stock connectors for now.
I did pick up a SL interconnect for the phono pre to 252, but it was less than 50% of current retail via a well known hi fi site here in the States.

Got it Bart. Me too although I use the Witch Hat Din to XLR instead of the stock cables.
I also have the RP8 and Aria. I use a Chord signature RCA to Din to connect it to the 252.
Did the SL RCA to DIN provide a decent uplift in performance?
Best regards
David

Actually with the 252 & 552 the Snaic and Burndy from the PSU need to touch otherwise the sound is off. My dealer helped with the cable set up between 252 and SCDR and the 252 is now sounding as it should.

I really meant other cables than that pair. It is recommended they run parallel. I will try to bring them into contact.

Phil

Mine does if it helps!
Phil