NAC 272 vs RME ADI-2 anyone?

Thank you for your thoughts @WeekendWarrior, the Topping stuff certainly seems to come up well in measurements and its interesting to hear your view on how they audibly compare, this is not a comparison that we see performed very much, well done.

I had the D90SE, which should be very similar to the LE version that you have. To my ears the only negatives are 1) comparatively narrower sound stage; 2) a little bit brittle at the top end; 3) runs warm. Otherwise a wonderful DAC especially at its price point. I ended up keeping the SMSL M400 that I was comparing the Topping against, but the difference was minimal.

Whilst I cant pretend to have much experience with all the options you mention, I can state with certainty that the Atom has a very passable preamp. Im currently using it as my front end, because of its excellent software, small footprint and great sound. I feed its signal via the rca outs on the Atom to my NAC 250DR. Whilst I might one day upgrade the front end, this combo sounds so much better than it has any right too and provides all the easy use functionality I need. I hope you are able to try this as Im really happy with the combo, and I suspect many others would be too…

Following with interest, as I have 272/555 in the main system into ATC SCM40a and a RME ADI-2 DAC between MAC Studio and some Genelec studio monitors in my WFH Office.

I have only really compared the output via headphones and prefer RME, however I understand 272 hasn’t got a great reputation on that side. one (wet winter) day I’ll hook up some cables and see what I think.

I’ve still got the Topping stuff, and I’ll be sorry to send it back - my experience since my earlier post has just been confirmed. One addition is that I’ve hooked up my 250.2 to the Topping DAC/Pre and it works very well indeed; I’m not saying that is it better than the Topping amp (which is an integrated amp with volume bypass option), but it has more power on tap. It’s a moot point tho’ as aesthetically and financially it wouldn’t make sense to keep my 250.2.

I have made my decision and my 555 will be finding a new owner soon and I expect that will cover the complete cost of the Topping system. 272 and 250.2 will likely follow when their replacements arrive.

You may find your RME DAC also trumps the 272, although maybe the pre amp comparison will not be so clear cut.

1 Like

Hope it all works out for you. What supplier allowed the home demo? You in the uk or further a field? Interested to try them out myself.

Cheers for the info and report. I have been thinking about getting an RME or a topping to go with my nait 5si. Just can’t afford the Naim options.

Highly recommend the RME super DAC it’s used more than my Naim Atom.

I’ve been bemoaning the lack of 272 replacement, which I probably would have bought. I certainly wouldn’t have gone to the expense and box count of NDX2 and 282 and power supplies. I think it has already worked out well given that, IMO, I can get better sound quality much more affordably, and occupying much less shelf space.

I’m in the UK but I’m probably not allowed to post the details you are asking for. However I asked Topping via their website who to contact and they told me, so that would be how to find out.

Edit: I think if the Topping/ RME etc had a dealer network they would be at least twice the price they are, so making the comparison not as mad as it seems

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.