NAC 282 added to SN 2 .....for a home demo

@GeoffC @Mike_S …I will mention that to him and will definitely reposition if I keep it. I will also be adding another shelf and from top to bottom it would then be, top to bottom, NDX 2 > NAC 282 > SN 2 > HiCap DR / NAPSC > XPS DR.

2 Likes

I’m also getting a NAC282 to replace my SN3, so really interested to hear your impressions. To keep boxes down to four I am getting ATC active speakers too.

3 Likes

In other news, as a slight diversion, I bought fold up wheels for my kayak, so I can use it more often. I’ll wheel it down the road to the little beach, instead of being limited to having the trailer empty.

3 Likes

I can appreciate that… My 17.5 foot fiberglass seakayak from the early 90’s weighs in at 60+ pounds. It used to be easy to toss on and off the car single handed now requires an assist from another. This aging stuff takes some getting used to and we have to be smarter how we work and play as we age.

Once on the water its pretty effortless moving through the water…

3 Likes

282 on top with NDX next worked best for me. You’re going to need a new fireplace!

2 Likes

as I wrote in a recent thread (NAC 282 + SN2 or NAP 200?) that was my upgrade path, too. Adding NAC 282 to SN2 was a terrific inprovement; but finally, yesterday for instance, swapping SN2 for a NAP 250DR was a further step in terms of bass control, transparency and driving capacity. where the SN2 as power amp seemed to show its limits in power control, the NAP 250DR easily drives speakers at higher volume levels without any effort. the final result is really satisfying!

rgds,
Stefano

4 Likes

Wow! Please keep us informed on your demo @seakayaker I thought you were through (famous last words). I’m considering separates as well but I’m targeting an amp first then pre-amp

2 Likes

Thanks for your comments.

I followed your recent thread and the experience’s that you shared helped influence my decision to move forward with the demo of the NAC 282. I plan on moving slower before bring a 250 DR onboard.

Time and patience, yes time and patience… and the money…

2 Likes

really pleased of your words! anyway, I’m sure you won’t regret of moving to NAP 250DR, too!

rgds,
Stefano

1 Like

Rather than pursuing the ‘more amplifiers’ route, you may want to try a 555PS on the NDX2. Having owned all sorts of illustrious Naim setups I’m absolutely delighted with my SN3 fronted by NDX2/555. For sheer musical communication it’s right up there. A much better rack than the Quadraspire would also pay big dividends.

2 Likes

Ah, I was a bit disappointed when I finished reading. I thought you might be putting the wheels on and “kayaking” down a hill, paddling against air.

3 Likes

Not sure why you’d think this - it’s exactly what you would expect. The 282 is a dedicated pre-amp and is ‘better’ than the pre-amp section of the SN. Partly because it is specifically designed to be and partly because isolating the pre-amp from the power amp confers additional benefit.

3 Likes

PS 555Dr is so damn expensive and rare 2nd hand in North America. Praying a Xpsdr will satisfy in the meantime.

3 Likes

Yes, they are not cheap. I’m simply suggesting that putting a 555 on an NDX2 may provide more musical engagement that swapping a SN for a 282/250. It depends on what one is after.

1 Like

No worries mate! Even when I dream of a 555PS I can’t afford it lol.

2 Likes

To me it just does not make any sense to spend $12,000 on a device only to improve the sound of a component costing $7700, regardless to the end result.

6 Likes

If it holds its own again other $20k sources, who cares?

1 Like

I heard the NAC 282 into Active ATC 19 & 40’s at two separate demonstrations and enjoyed the music quite a bit. I am sure you will be happy and look forward to hearing how they work together for you. (Your room, your system, your ears).

3 Likes

Would be interesting to see if you can borrow a 200DR to see how that compares. Would keep your box count at 4 (plus NAPSC)

1 Like

The home demo demon strikes again. I’m struggling to stop myself from bringing home a new combo for a demo.

3 Likes