NAC 282 added to SN 2 .....for a home demo

I did have to read it twice to spot the missing 252. Having heard nothing more fancy than a 282 I can’t have a real view. But it was quite funny though.

1 Like

The only way to know is to hear what it does. Ruling it out because of the cost ratio is theory dominating practice. Where does one toe the line? Is it OK if the PS costs 80% of the cost of the head unit? What about 100%? Is 120% OK? I simply view my NDX2/555 as a single thing, rather than a player and an add on power supply. All I’m suggesting is that in @seakayaker ’s system it may be worthwhile comparing NDX2/555/SN against NDX2/XPS and 282/250. The former probably costs a bit less but may be preferred. A lot will probably depend on how much the speakers benefit from the greater control of the regulated 250DR.

3 Likes

Hi @seakayaker It’s Sunday morning here, the sun is shining but as you have been a help to many others on the forum, I thought I would put a little time to aid your thinking - not about the equipment changes you are considering but the layout of them! This might be useful… !

Here is what you are proposing, though please note this is a quick Photoshop edit, and I didn’t have time to edit out the HiCap and napsc which are on the floor. Personally, I think an extra shelf would be a ‘visual’ step back as I think going above the fireplace will not look as good. This is illustrated in my edit here, plus you will be putting the napsc nearer the 282, and in my experience (I had an 82) and naim’s recommendation it is better kept well away from the preamp.

My suggestion would be to make two small (isolated) platforms for the HiCap and napsc and keep them where they are now. The added benefit of this would be that they can hide some of the cabling.

3 Likes

Appreciate it’s what people find, but it’s still a bit counterintuitive to me, unless the 282 can feed the power section of the Supernait directly in which case it ought to be better, as going through the Supernait’s pre-section would be a weak point.

I suppose it’s similar to having a better phono stage between a turntable and a pre-amp in many ways.

I’d imagine that in this case the 282, via the Hicap, is connecting to the Supernait power amp, bypassing its preamp. It’s hard to envisage it being set up in any other way.

4 Likes

I wasn’t sure if that was possible - if so great, shows my lack of familiarity with Supernaits!

Yes, you just remove the links, put the Supernait into power amp mode, and off you go.

1 Like

Just saw this for the Supernait 2, presumably similar for Supernait 3. An older PDF with the original Supernait from Naim’s site is poor quality graphics wise, look very compressed, though am I correct that the original did not have this option?

I’d probably considered the Supernait to offer similar connectivity to the Nova, which really only has the option for adding a NAP. Perhaps unlikely anyone would want to add a pre to a Uniti device, and probably not possible due to the Uniti range’s digitisation of analogue inputs to allow multiroom playback.

The original Supernait works in the same way, so you can use a different preamp. The Supernaits really are super.

3 Likes

It’s always worth trying the options I found out. I had a 272/XPS/250dr system that many would consider better balanced than my current ND555/555PS/SN3/HiCapDR. But for me the new system captured a beauty and nuance in the music, despite an obvious step down in grunt and control that a 250 has over a SN3’s power amp section. The balanced system approach had always made more logical and financial sense than source first, but I realised that in terms of my musical enjoyment, that logic and finance were not the most important factors.

1 Like

Seems so - I’d certainly be tempted if starting from scratch given these options and reduced box count. Many I’m sure would feel no need to go any further amp wise as it sounds like a real sweet spot in the range. Must try to listen to one sometime.

I’m not sure mixing older serviced olive components with newer ones is giving me the best balance, but it’s not easy to tell without lots of demoing with many different combinations.

1 Like

I think this thread will be very popular and interesting for everyone with a Supernait, thinking what if… Myself I certainly will follow it and take notes. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If you do a search using “282 and SN 2” you will find some additional reading. Reading them over time and the most recent thread from Mar 31 finally raised my curiosity (temptation) enough to make an inquiry to my dealer to borrow a 282 for a demo. Sitting here this morning, less than 24 hours since he dropped by to install the 282, I am extremely pleased at the improvement with the sound. …I am also happy that my wife provided a positive unsolicited comment the first time she heard the music after the 282 was installed.

I still have several days of listening before making the purchase decision. In the US we do not always have dealers with stock on hand for demonstrations for all the Naim product as the folks in the UK. I feel fortunate that here in Seattle I have a dealer that has been very accommodating.

7 Likes

Thanks for the reply and the Photoshop edit. Definitely food for thought regarding individual small platforms on the sides to hide the cable clutter. I will have to share the photo with my wife and have her provide her input.

2 Likes

Before disappearing down the rabbit hole it might be worth demoing a SN3 if you can get your hands on one

1 Like

I am using a Hi-Line between the NDX 2 and the NAC 282. Currently using the standard Naim interconnect but may be something to pursue in the future.

Same here in Chicago. When I was considering a move to separates the dealer was more than willing to lend me a 200 with a 202 and on top of that insisted that I should also borrow from them the napsc since it made such a difference.

I had the three boxes for six days, alternating between the two amplifications for the first two days and then playing solely the separates for the last four. Probably against the forum’s spirit, I decided not to start a thread because I had no interest in being distracted by helpful members suggesting that I might change my source or speakers or how wonderful the 282 was. It was a simple question: NAIT 3 - Flatcap or the 200 / 202 combination. Since I decided not to make a change I didn’t see any need to mention the no news event.

Last week I drove to ProMusica for LP-12 matters (a motor replacement and a new cartridge) and got to hear for the first time the excellent SN 3 playing through ProAc speakers. It was also a chance to sit and discuss past history, remembering the system these guys had sold me in 1979, including the table they are fixing now.

8 Likes

I meant from the 282 to the power amp :+1:

1 Like

any suggestions?

thanks and regards,
Stefano

Tempted? :star_struck:

1 Like