NAC 282 hiss

Most hifi I have had gives a low level audible hiss when no music is played - including the 282.
I suspect the efficiency of the speakers is the issue here.

Nail on head. Itā€™s to do with speaker efficiency.

Having had very efficient Focals, while their high efficiency could be contributing to the hiss issue being experienced by the OP, if the hiss is significantā€™/bothersome at low listening levels, then something is/seems awry - my Focals rarely operated above 9 on the dial.

Questions for the OP (@Roman):

1- what power feeds are you using? e.g. Is the kit on a house power ring - if so, having you tried turning off/isolating other items in the house (e.g. 'fridge/chargers/PCs).
2- are you running ethernet over mains and/or anything like this?
3- do you have any AV kit linked to the system?
4- what speaker cable are you using and is it coiled up/does it run near any other appliances?
5- are you using standard Naim interconnects?

As @feeling_zen suggests, from the postings it sounds to me like you have some noisy mains and/or some contamination - it could be overly sensitive kit set-up but this seems unlikely/not the obvious answer.

If the issue was a buzzing toroidal transformer Iā€™d also be pointing the finger at mains contamination. I donā€™t see how it could lead to hiss through the speakers though. Naim amplifiers always hiss - itā€™s the sensitivity of oneā€™s speakers and oneā€™s ears that determine whether or not itā€™s an issue. The simple answer is to mute the amp when not in use - that way you wonā€™t hear it when the music is not playing. And when the music is playing, you wonā€™t hear it either.

If the OP is still concerned they can either borrow some different speakers to try at home, or take the amplifiers to the shop and try them with different speakers there.

1 Like

HH - I agree. The OPā€™s issue seems to be that the hiss is affecting the sound when playing at low listening levels(?). I never had this with my ~90db Focals.

Iā€™ve re-read Romanā€™s posts and itā€™s not clear (to me) whether the hiss is an issue when the music is actually playing. While it can be heard from the listening position with no music playing that doesnā€™t mean itā€™s still audible once the music starts.

HH - I was lead by these remarks.

I missed that, sorry.

It could still be numerous issues. While true that Classic amps hiss, only the OP really knows how much hiss they are getting.

A dealer getting involved would short circuit a lot of forum second guessing. Sensitivy is certainly suspect. And sensitivity ratings donā€™t tell the whole story. Theyā€™re an average but different drive units may have different values.

Similarly, capacitors in the 282 or 200 may be off spec or 101 other things. Itā€™s important to get extra ears involved and possibly other components for testing.

I went through the exact same thing with my 202 bought new. I could easily hear it hissing from the listening spot. Volume/Mute has no effect on the hiss, and was told that it is just the way it is. My dealer did get me a new one, and it is exactly the same. I donā€™t notice it from the listening spot anymore these days, but I have changed speakers twice since i got it, so I imagine that has something to do with that.

@Roman
Is the system earthed properly, and on a separate mains?

Yes, the system is properly grounded, but it is not on a separate mains spur.

Took the nac 282 to the dealer. He will send it to Naim for checking.

Ahhhā€¦ OK - curious as to what they say

Did they plug it in and try it there?

Yes, they did. The hiss was replicated at the dealer shop. As I already wrote, they decided to send it to Naim for checking if it is at a normal level and potential replacement.

BTW, I have an update regarding the problem. On Wednesday I had to clear room for a bulky delivery, so I disconnected the speakers and power off everything. When everything was reconnected and powered on in the evening, the hiss in the right channel dropped significantly to almost non-existing level (but not in the left channel). When a few records were played, the right channel sounded perfect. Unfortunately that did not last long. Shortly after the hiss was present in both channels as before. I am not able to explain it. Maybe it has to do with that the system was powered off for some time. At least that confirmed that the hiss level is not normal, as for a short period of time one channel sounded as it should.

Hi, any update from Naim regarding the hissing 282? I have a brand new 282 unit that is exhibiting the same problem - in that I can hear a faint hiss from my listening position 3 meters away. I am also using a Nap 200 into 85db sensitivity speakers. The faint hiss only disappears when engaging mute on the 282. Never had this problem before in any of my systems over the years.

That sounds quite normal to me. The hiss should be very faint and yes, it will totally disappear with mute engaged.

1 Like

Faulty snaic?

(Iā€™ll get me coat)

G

1 Like

I spoke to another well established & long standing Naim dealer, they told me they have a large number of customers using the 282 + 200 combination and none of them has ever observed any hiss at their listening positions and nor should they, even at 3m. Interestingly, I tried a non Naim pre-amp into my 200 yesterday and found there was no hiss - at any distance. What to do??

If youā€™re worried about it and think it may be faulty then you should first speak to your supplying dealer. They may well wish to check it out for you or try substituting their demo unit to see whether it is faulty or normal.