NAC 282 System Automation with ND5 XS2 Streamer

Yes I came across that post about the wiring as well. I opened the unit yesterday and checked - it seems to be wired correctly from what I understand.

That’s the one. Ah, bugger was hoping that could have been it. But no.

Sadly no response from customer support yet. Hope they’ll get to it soon!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

So I was resigned to needing a factory repair on this NAC 282, then I managed to get my hands on an NDX 2. Somehow the system automation works some of the time with the NDX 2, using RC5 modulation.

I say some, because it will either be working or need a “jump start” in the form of (1) using the NAC 282 remote to nudge the volume, then (2) using the NDX 2 remote to nudge the volume, perhaps activating the automation, and finally (3) using automation via my phone/tablet.

Very odd indeed! Anyone else experience something like this?

Yes, this seems odd. My 282 and ndx2 works well without the need to get the automation going. I don’t have rc5 modulation selected in the app options though.

Unfortunatly I have no good idea what the problem could be.

Have you got anything else other than the P5 and NDX2 connected to the 282 ?

No, nothing else. Started up properly this morning. A puzzler for sure!

Very strange. At least it just seems to be 282 related as it’s happened with both of your streamers now.

Yes, odd indeed. I am slightly encouraged as it is working fully today. Holding onto the SN2 until I know that I won’t have to send the 282 in for a repair.

1 Like

Think I’ve now got to a repeatable behaviour. Once working, the automation seems to keep working. However, whenever I switch inputs on the 282 away from the streamer and back again, the automation stops working. To get it back I need to go through the steps of repeatedly tweaking the volume with the 282 remote and turning automation on and off from the Naim app. Eventually it ‘catches’ and then continues working until the next time I switch inputs on the 282.

Sadly after more than a week of cooperation, the automation has fizzled out again. Tried all my tricks including full power-offs to no avail. Looks like I may need to send it in after all.

Any thoughts getting a 10 year old 282 serviced? Nothing wrong with the sound … but more economical to do it at the same time as fixing the automation vs. if I ended up doing a repair now and a service in a few years time. Do the modern pre-amps really need to be serviced like the olives do?

Sent it to Naim and received it back in about 2 weeks with full service. Sounding great and automation now perfect. Turns out that the display board mod was needed after all, even for a 2012 model. Thankfully it was wired correctly too!

8 Likes