Nac 282 with supernait 3

Guys, I suppose this also means SN2 can do the same thing? This is quite news for me, I was not aware my SN2 was able to power a separate preamp, without an external PSU.

I moved from a SN 2 to a NAP 282 > SN 2 configuration as noted in this thread earlier.

Hi SK, yes, I have followed your upgrade path, as we seem to have affection for a certain speaker brand, but I always thought, or probably presumed you always had a HiCap to power the 282. Thanks anyway!

I had a HiCap DR on my SN 2 for the pre-amp section and that moved over to power the NAP 282. If running the SN 2 without a HiCap then that cost has to be fit into the equation when picking up the 282 and can be a roadblock. So if you are thinking of heading down the separates road you may consider adding a HiCap to your SN 2!

Heā€™s not alone! lol

I believe youā€™ll need an external PSU like the HiCap to do this as the 282 needs it. Not sure about the 202 however. Someone will correct me if Iā€™m wrong.

I amā€¦ Same as 282. Needs a supplyā€¦ :astonished:

1 Like

The SN2 will work in the same way as the SN3 in Power amp mode. You can power a 282 (or 202) from it without needing a Hicap.

1 Like

Certainly using a 282 with a sn3 would be illogical long term in every sense. As the sn3 is more expensive than a 200dr anyway, youā€™d be losing out financially if you held onto it and purchasing a 200 dr to follow would certainly be a little easier on the wallet.

Looking at the innards of the 200 , one would hope there would be a worthwhile increase in performance over the sn3 in power amp mode, despite 10 less watts. Itā€™s listed as an upgrade path on the sn3 interestingly. Either way itā€™s good to know the upgrade path from a sn3 to 282/200 can be done this way now.

Yes there is a growing band of support for a reference/500 integrated on the forum, so lets hope one day Naim will consider a design to open up different options for its existing users and potentially attract new customers turned off by the multi box approach. An Ā£8/9k price point would preferably suit me.

2 Likes

You can not power a 282 with an SN 2 or SN 3, the NAP 282 does need a HiCap, 2 HiCaps or a SuperCap.

You can use a 200 power amp as well, but James talks a lot of sense normally. This is going to be interesting !

James is correct, the Supernait power amp input includes a 24V output which can be used to power a preamp.

1 Like

Something I did not know since everything I read in the threads earlier indicated that a power supply was needed. Checking the manual, section 4.8 it reads, " 0. If a SUPERNAIT 2 is to be used as a stereo power amp only it must be configured to operate in power amp mode:ā€¦"

My apologies to @james_n and @roda for posting incorrect information.

2 Likes

No worries at all. I didnā€™t know either ! I certainly learnt something.

James and Chris are extremely knowledgeable and helpful on here.

1 Like

And Seekayaker too for that matter.

Ok last track on ā€˜All things must passā€™ and then off to bed.

It all gets a bit confusing, but itā€™s there buried in the manual, although I admit Iā€™ve never tried it!

1 Like

Sometimes you just need the legendary Chris and James just to make it crystal clear.

Keep up the good work guys.

2 Likes

I had made the comment about the NAC 282 being ā€œquite an upliftā€ earlier. That statement was made with the NAC 282 being powered by a HiCap DR and not via the SN 2 only. Only mention since the NAC 282 improvement in the sound may be different from what I experienced when I upgraded since I had a HiCap DR on the SN 2 and moved it over to the 282.

Hopefully you have the chance to demo and hear how the system performs.

1 Like

Well, it just goes to show. I had a SN2 and thought you could only power a Naim phono stage from itā€¦ā€¦

2 Likes

No worries :+1: