Nac 32.5, Hicap, grey 5 pin Snaic?

The above has arrived, perfectly packed and shipped, thanks to the supplying dealer.

I read somewhere that these early grey snaics may be bettered by using later black ones. Anyone have an opinion or experience of this?

2 Likes

Reply to myself.

Read the FAQ sections!

1 Like

Black, all the way.

Did you get a chrome bumper amp?

1 Like

Congratulations, that´s a super set.

From my perspetive your question can´t be answered in general. I started with a NAC-62 with HiCap, aquired a NAC-32-5 recently and bought several of those internal boards as spares.

Even if it is the same board revision (e.g. NA-323/4) it is sometimes equipped with different components. What I found started at power rail electrolytics position from cheap Samwha over Nichicon Gold-Grade up to the SCLE Promisic. All boards were serviced at official Naim partners. So it seems to make a clear difference by whom and when the last service was done here.

The individual boards will therefore all behave and sound slightly differently. This in turn has an effect on the behavior of the cable too.

I am currently running my set (32-5, HiCap, 140) with an old gray SNAIC4 and a modern black SNAIC5 - sounding terrificly perfect. What bothers me is that the more modern twist lock plug sits much too loosely on the old DIN socket. So I will definitely convert this cable to latched Deltron DIN for greater operational reliability.

1 Like

Not yet but I’m looking at a 250 soon.

2 Likes

Thanks, yes, and it is an original set. Unfortunately I had no use for the K phono stage so had it swapped, following an offer from the excellent Tiverton dealer, to a mm stage.

I haven’t run it yet but its switched on and the green lights are showing so it has power :-). Just waiting for that right 250cb to turn up.

Like you I have a concern re the black cable connectors, so will run it with the grey deltron for a while just to see how it sounds before swapping anything.

1 Like

It’s definitely worthwhile upgrading from the old grey to the current black SNAICs. The locking collar DINs will work just fine with the latching sockets - just keep the collars undone and all the way back. It does mean though that you won’t be able to lock the DINs in place - an advantage (it may well sound better) and a disadvantage (don’t accidentally disconnect while powered on) there…

1 Like

Thanks Richard. I haven’t got the 250cb yet, but will make the change when that arrives. I am trying to resist testing the kit with the 250-2, but is there any reason I shouldn’t try this?

1 Like

No reason at all.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with mixing and matching. I have 2 CB 135s, Supercap 2 , olive 82, NDS and 555PS. So olive, CB and black all working together. All serviced where appropriate. What more could I want?

Get it fired up and see how it sounds :+1:

1 Like

Similar here, source is ND555/555PSDR, into olive 52/Supercap, drive provided by 1984 vintage 135s which were Cb when built, but recased into,olive sleeves at the mothership before I bought them in 1989.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, it’s just to test them on the main system, not a permie move. I just didn’t know if there were any compatibility issues with different model eras. It will be interesting to see how it sounds.

1 Like

No issues with compatibility. They are designed to work together.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.