NAC 332 vs. 252. Surprised…

That’s your opinion & I respect that.

But for me and what I have noticed, it’s definitely opened up a lot after 2 weeks.

And for what’s its worth, I don’t listen daily.

It’s a weekend listen for me.

2 Likes

252 supercap dr with 300dr is a brilliant and involving combination, especially with top tier stuff at either end. i suspect what your hearing is mostly a synergy thing. quality wise youll need the psu for the pre to get anywhere near a 252 supercap. (im guessing)

Once you get the new classic other bits it will gel, its a system. Naim have always done this

2 Likes

For the OP. Do you have the 300 and 332 together or is it just the 332?

1 Like

The 300 is not here yet, this is a bare 332. Apologies, I just realized this is not clear in my original post.

I would then expect it to be a sideways move from. 252/sc dr to this. No worse a sound perhaps but different in its presentation. I think you will be unable to make a judgement until you have the 300.

2 Likes

you will need that npx300, Naim have said quite a few times that a 332 on its own is 282 level with a few hicaps

2 Likes

Quite I buy 2 weeks but not 3 months, I suspect that over the longer term it’s adapting to the new sound. However, what is clear is that the OP needs to wait for the PSU before making a conclusion.

4 Likes

The PSU and the 350s arrive this week. It sounds like consensus is that I should expect a big lift from the monoblocks. I wonder if it may be worth adding the PSU to the 332 first and deciding if this is a worthwhile upgrade or not based on preamp differences only. If it’s a no, the answer may be 252/SCDR plus NAP 350s, and the 332 goes back.

1 Like

I would imagine the best comparison is a full set of one vs a full set of the other, not a mix and match. Although I have run an 82 Olive with the classic black Supercap DR and a 250DR, I believe their is a synergy between designs of the same era. Anything else is a compromise.

6 Likes

Typically the thinking is pre first so I’d add the PSU first and let it run, then add the 350s. My hunch, noting I haven’t heard any NC stuff, is that it would really take a 552 to improve upon the 252, and a 500 to really beat the 300. From my experience the 552/300 pairing is sublime.

7 Likes

No, the 350s knock a 300DR out of the park. To our ears at least.

They just have so much effortless drive.

2 Likes

I don’t think a few months run in is false. With my Naim components its taken ages to run in. My 2021 552DR didn’t sound as good as my previous 2011 unit for at least 6 months. I became frustrated at times, second guessing the rest of my setup. The 500DR which i bought used also changed dramatically over a period of 3 months. I don’t think this 2021 unit had even been run in. I understand the new series is meant to improve on this slow burn in so I would at least give it a month and I also agree with not swapping back to a previous setup as your ear-brain is used to that sound so naturally you will prefer it.

2 Likes

There are too many variables when comparing full sets I think, but I do agree that synergy may play a part here. I will also try to compare the two preamps with the 350s in place. I do not mind mixing OC and NC if it ends up sounding better in my system/room. For the 332/300 outlay, I would expect more than just synergy though, the pre should sound better to me than the existing one for it to stay.

3 Likes

From 350/332 manual.

7 Likes

Once you add the power supply to the 332 you might be more impressed.

4 Likes

These 2 kits are completely different in sound , that’s all I can say

4 Likes

Both are unique with their sound and characters, so choose which one your ear tells you :wink:

4 Likes

It’s like comparing 2 different makes of supercars , each has their appeals to potential buyers . So… choose the one you like :smiley:

5 Likes

The issue is I have 3 weeks left for my ears to tell me what I prefer.

2 Likes

I chose NAIM from the rest of other makes , cos I like what naim is all about , be it new or old classic , all are wonderful kits appealing to different audiophiles

1 Like