Nac 42 & nap 110

An original un-moded 42. NOT a 42-5… sadly… So not HiCap - unless you can find an older one…

So also - according to the Stickers - have 323 S boards - so that’s MC. Not MM.

And Phono inputs - !! Not BNC’s…

?? - @Richard.Dane - could a more modern HC have its single rail ‘restored’…?

Thanks, really appreciate your input could have saved me a lot of headsratching and an expensive mistake.

So a CB SNAPS would work? And would all CB Hi-Caps work, or just the early/un-moded ones? Or no Hi-Caps full-stop? Sorry for all the questions!

I don’t have a recent picture to hand, but this is the NAC42/NAP110 combination in a previous incarnation of the system. The Spendor 3/5s live on HiFi Racks stands. I also have another pair of 3/5s on Skylan stands, CB 32/HiCap/140, Rega Brio and a recapped NAD 3020b which are rotated every six months or so to form two small systems for listening at low to moderate volumes.

11 Likes

Any SNAPS is OK.

A CB HC is likely OK - but would need checking… Sometimes the single rail got removed, I believe…? But, yes HC is possible, albeit a bit tricky. But - back in the day the ‘gain’ from a HC was considered marginal, vs the SNAPS. Until the -5 mod…

This… is your challenge…!!!

2 Likes

Wonderful and look even better in use. Also given me some ideas about how to position them :+1:

2 Likes

Great thanks. The challenge will be fun :grimacing:

At least I can use the system without in the meantime.

1 Like

Ab-so-blumin-lute-ly…

I have a 72-140 as my reserve system… :grin:

Ironically, one of my 2 HC’s is ex-CB… so probably… No, not selling it.

A serviced SNAPS would be perfect good luck on the hunt for one…

1 Like

SNAPS must be out there - and maybe not so loved or in demand…??

Would a SNAPS power the pre amp and a CB tuner simultaneously?

Just the pre

1 Like

Yes, a CB SNAPs would be just fine.

You could also use a pre '93 HICAP provided the single-rail supply has not been removed during a service. I have a CB HICAP where I have retained the single-rail supply, that way I can use it on early as well as on late shoe box pre-amps.

2 Likes

@Stu99 Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the CB appreciation society!

As per @Richard.Dane recommendation I am using an old Naim CD3 with my 42.5 Hi Cap, 110 and Kan 2s and it all sounds good at modest volumes in my study.

The amps were my first Naim purchase back in the day, (serviced since of course) and the CD3 my first ever CD player when I finally reluctantly dragged myself into the digital era in 1995, still going strong :crossed_fingers:.

Like you I am also considering adding an appropriate streaming source, so grateful for the advice.

12 Likes

Yes, if you’re using a NAT101 with a SNAPS you can also use the second power out on the SNAPS to power a pre-amp such as a NAC12, 22, 32, or 42.

5 Likes

SNAPS are much loved and always in great demand.

1 Like

The black metal rack looks very much in keeping with the era, and matches the speakers stands too. Lovely system!

I’m leaning towards the recently updated Bluesound Node 2021 which was very well reviewed by What H-Fi. It’s similar width to the shoeboxes and looks like it would compliment well visually in black.

2 Likes

Good…!!!

The SNAPS is shallower in length than the 42/110 so would have to sit on top if stacked. A preamp ‘sandwich’ would be best avoided! Also with long term stacking the feet can mark the paint surfaces which would be a shame. Also depending on the SQ of your source you might actually prefer the result without a separate power supply.

1 Like

Maybe about half the depth of a 42 or HC…?

1 Like

Sorry another question. To connect a streamer with RCA outputs to the 42 would I need a 5 Pin Din to Twin RCA cable? Thanks