NAC 552 Service

My 552 is now 10yrs old. I am in two minds about getting it serviced now as it is expensive ~ £1200 total for the Nac and the PS. I could wait for a few more years but I’m interested to know if others have had their 552s serviced and what their experience was.
Did it make any discernible difference to performance ?

If it’s any help my 552 went back to Naim last year with an intermittent fault. Initially I thought I’d get both Unit’s serviced just to be on the safe side but apparently they listened to my head unit against their demo unit and said it was as good or even slightly better than their’s and not to bother. However, the power supply did need a service. I believe that the service intervals on 500 kit is 15 years anyway, so I would not be in too much of a rush to spend £1200 unless it was essential?

It was pretty difficult to notice a discernible improvement straight away as I had to contend with about 3 months of burn-in. I also had new burndy’s, which didn’t help!

The recommendation is 15 years. Unless you can hear what you consider to be significant sound degradation, I wouldn’t give it another thought before 2024 - at the earliest.

I believe it is 10-12 years for the PS 15 for the head unit. Last year I had both serviced (12 years old) but could not really hear much if any difference in SQ.

Thanks all. I was surprised to learn that Naim recommend 8-10 yrs between services.

Apart from a somewhat dimmed display my 552 seems to be fine so I might wait a little longer.

What is the total cost for a full service, recap, and DR upgrade to both the head unit and PS?

Best
Gregg

I think you need to ask Naim.

hi

i had my 552 (16 years old) being serviced and DR’s last year. As i lived in France the price was different, i should say more expansive (could even say very expansive), but once done, i thought it worst every penny spend.

1 Like

When I had my 552 and (then) xps2 DR’d one noticeable difference when they came back was that the green naim light shone less brightly!

If DR’ing is too big a step for you at this time, I would not consider having your 552 serviced unless you have noticed a deterioration in sound quality. Likelihood is it would be pouring good money after bad. Wait until you are ready for DR.

Peter

i can not understand how to edit my previous message to change “worst” to “worth” (automatic dictionnary typo issue…not my english). can someone help ?

1 Like

One hour window approximately, then the pen disappears.

Phil

If you can see the little pen symbol, press it and you can edit. If not ask @richarddane if he can help to edit.

thx for the reply. i should have re-read just after my initial post

I think there is some variation with the 552 as some customers have run them well beyond 10 years and some really did need the service at 8 years. Mine needed it around 9 years if I recall right. It is easy with the 552 to tell, as there are two failure modes - one is a duller sound gradually over time which creeps-up on you and you don’t realise it - the second is a more dramatic onset of harshness and that really hits you and you know it is wrong - I experienced the latter and had to get mine done.

As it turned-out after the service it sounded (to me) even better than new and I was well-pleased. Naim do seem to learn about their product range over time and introduce little cumulative improvements that do make a difference.

In my case I parted with my nicely serviced 552 when I was foolish enough to home-demo the S1 Pre. I’m really hoping the service interval on that is at least 15 years. :bear:

DB.

It will probably need servicing just as the new S2 hits the dealers😁

:joy::loop: Noooooo…

DB,
In reply to my query regarding service intervals Naim said “we recommend our products are serviced every 8-10 years”. That is clearly a general answer not specific to my 552.
I was initially concerned about the extent of the dimming of the logo but had also thought that my 552 had lost some ‘life’ so I agreed that if the logo was to be replaced I might as well have a full service of both boxes.
My 552 + ps are due back from Naim shortly so I will report on what I hear. No chance of an S1 for me !
I am now saving for my 500 (now 7 years old) to be serviced.

M

Get it DR upgraded as well when you do that and you will be delighted - it is a new and far better Amplifier.

My reply was specific to the 552 following my own experience, not what Naim say. I usually find you can run Naim equipment well up to and past the 15 year service point, with the exception of the NAP250 which does need a service around then and will let you know by providing a useful buzzing.

Some of the variation is how the units are run in what climatic conditions as temperature and humidity have a big effect on long-term reliability of the components that age - primarily the large Electrolytic caps.

The S1 service will one day happen I’m sure - hopefully a good decade or so ahead, but these things creep-up on you.

DB.

Ooooh…pre-loved S1s, now there’s a thought.

Right, I’m off for a cold shower!

Yes you need a cold shower…the speakers would need a revisit😎